Dear Incoming Student,
We look forward to welcoming you to the NEC student community and facilitating your musical and academic success. Your physical and emotional health is of the utmost importance and we can provide you with the tools you need to stay healthy. We invite students with existing medical problems to contact us upon arrival at school to ensure effective and comprehensive management of problems before they arise.
NEC’s Health and Counseling Service offers a full range of health services on site by professional healthcare providers. Services include:
- Routine physical examinations and screening tests;
- Education that focuses on risk reduction and health promoting behaviors;
- Urgent visits for treatment of illness and injury;
- Routine visits for the management and treatment of chronic disease or ongoing health problems;
- Patient advocacy, which includes expedited referral and coordination of care with specialists and health care institutions, and ongoing assessment of satisfaction with that care.
- Psychiatry and counseling services provided by a team made up of licensed psychotherapists, counseling interns, and a psychiatrist.
Please carefully review and complete the Student Health Report using the NEC Student Health Report Checklist that will provide step by step instructions for the successful completion of the form. You must return the completed health report to us by January 6, 2020. The confidential information that you provide will allow us to assist you with your health care needs.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires documentation of certain immunizations, or proof of immunity, to certain illness (see page 2 of the health report) for all full-time students enrolled in Massachusetts, regardless of age or degree status. These immunizations help to insure a healthy campus. Incomplete or missing health reports will result in a $150 fine, a delay in registration, and a fee for immunizations administered at the Health Center.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts also requires that all students carry health insurance that covers hospitalization, surgical expenses, emergency care, and specialty care while enrolled as a student in Massachusetts. You will be receiving more information about Student Health Insurance options from the business office in July.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions by calling 617-585-1284. Best wishes for a healthy winter break and we will look forward to welcoming you in the new year.
The Health & Counseling Center Staff