- The Society for Music Theory (SMT) is a national organization whose mission is to “promote music theory as both a scholarly and a pedagogical discipline. Today our Society has a membership of over 1200 music theorists worldwide, whose interests embrace a varied and growing range of subject matter.”
- The College Music Society (CMS) "provides leadership and serves as an agent of change by addressing concerns facing music in higher education.” For young theorists, this organization provides opportunities for giving papers at a national conference and publishing articles in the journal College Music Symposium, which includes many studies related to pedagogy.
- Journals, Bibliographies, Glossaries of Analytical Terms
- Pedagogy Resources
- Introductory Readings are suggested for Music Theory majors when they first begin their study. Music Theory is a widely diverse field, with many different topics and approaches. This sampling gives a sense of the breadth and depth of the field
Resources for Music Theory Students
Music Theory Learning Center
The MTLC is a FREE resource available to any current students enrolled in NEC college-level programs.
All undergraduate and graduate students are welcome!!
Visit the Learning Center to learn more about all aspects of Music Theory.
Our trained teaching assistants will:
- Answer your questions
- Help with class assignments
- Assist with the cultivation of keyboard harmony and ear-training skills using interactive computer-based exercises, and more!
Fall 2017 Schedule
(Hours vary by semester)
St Botolph Building, NEC
|5:00 - 6:00pm|
|Monday||3:00 - 4:00pm|
|Tuesday||4:00 - 5:00pm|
|Wednesday||4.00 - 5.00pm|
|Thursday||4:00 - 5:00pm|
|Friday||3:00 - 4:00pm|
For more information, please email the Music Theory Learning Center.