Cancelled | NEC Prep: Musical Theater Workshop
For students with an interest in musical theatre, NEC Prep is excited to announce a special four-week workshop in March and April 2020: Musical Theatre Workshop!
Open to students ages 13-18, this action packed four week workshop series will focus on the whole musical theatre singer/actor. Under the direction of guest artist Noel Smith, a Master Teacher to Broadway artists, participants will work on their singing technique, and will be provided with one-on-one coaching in class. Participants will come away at the conclusion of the workshop series with musical theatre pieces that are audition-ready, a one-minute monologue, and a memorized scene. Additionally, participants will gain a better understanding of their whole voice and body connection, and a stronger level of confidence in their audition, performance, and presentation skills.
The three hour workshop class will feature:
- Breath and body warm ups, connecting voice and body
- Singing technique in musical theatre - both legit and belt
- Breaking down the songs to understand character and personal connection
- Audition skills - how to talk to a pianist, how to present yourself to an audition panel
- One on one voice coaching with Noel Smith in a master class format, where students can learn from watching each other
- In class performance opportunity each week
- Individual song assignments for each student, selected personally by Noel Smith
- Acting and movement games to break things up and have fun!
After registering, participants are asked to submit a short video with one musical theater selection of your choice, full or excerpted. This is not an audition, and will not affect your ability to participate in the workshop. Pieces can be accompanied by a track, or a cappella, and can be recorded on a phone and uploaded to Youtube, and shared with the office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
March 21, March 28, April 4, and April 11, 2020, from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM. There will be a final Performance open to friends and family on April 11th, at 10:30am.
Tuition for this exciting workshop series will be $400, plus a $40 registration fee, for the four-week course.
For students enrolled in private lessons through NEC Prep, a discounted rate of $250 will be offered for the four-week series.
Space is limited, so be sure to register right away at this link!
- Noel Smith, Clinician