Black is Canon: Countdown to Coretta Scott King Concert
In celebration of Black History Month, the Black Student Union presents “Black is Canon,” a countdown to the annual Coretta Scott King tribute concert on February 25.
Hosted by the BSU's Zoe Cagan ’21 MM and Nnamdi Odita-Honnah ’22 MM, each installment of “Black is Canon” is a 10-minute Instagram/IGTV event celebrating music by Black composers:
- Friday, February 19, “Stay on It,” Julius Eastman
- Saturday, February 20, “Dismal Swamp,” William Grant Still
- Sunday, February 21, “Symphony No. 1,” Florence Price
- Monday, February 22, “Come Sunday,” Omar Thomas
- Tuesday, February 23, “Portrait of Josephine,” Valerie Coleman
- Wednesday, February 24, “Black, Brown and Beige,” Duke Ellington
Celebrating Black History Month:
Black history is our shared history. This month, NEC's Black Student Union takes the lead as the Conservatory honors the legacy, future, and rich contributions of Black artists and artistry at NEC.