Find Books in the Library Catalog
- The library’s online catalog lists over a million books; these belong to NEC and the nineother local members of Fenway Libraries Online (FLO) who share this catalog.
- Most of the music books in the catalog can be found in NEC’s Spaulding Library; books are shelved on the 2nd and 3rd floors and are arranged by subject in the Library of Congress classification scheme.
- Most non-music books are owned by other FLO libraries and can be requested by college students for delivery to NEC by clicking on the “Make a Request” link in the catalog. Book deliveries from other FLO libraries usually arrive within the week; the library will notify you of their arrival.
- Electronic books listed in the catalog can be read on or off campus. Currently several hundred music titles are available; in total, over 60,000 titles in all subject areas can be viewed. Include the term “EBRARY” in your search to find titles in electronic format.
Can’t find it in the Catalog?
- NEC’s college students may borrow from nearby Northeastern University; you can walkthere, and must have an NEC ID with you.
- You can search the holdings of many other Massachusetts libraries in the Virtual Catalog; deliveries usually arrive within one to two weeks; the library notifies you when your request arrives.
- You can search the catalogs of libraries throughout the world in Worldcat.org; limit your search by zip code to locate nearby libraries which own books or scores; there is no delivery available through Worldcat.
- Materials not listed in the catalog can be requested through the library’s Interlibrary Loan Department; please allow four to six weeks for delivery.
Find Online Resources and Journal Articles
- You can find an alphabetical list of online reference sources in the library’s webpage section “Online Resources”, including the essential New Grove Dictionary of Music. You can find a list of the three major journal indexes with links to PDFs of journal articles in the webpage section “Journals”
- Most online resources and journals are available both on and off campus; log in off campus with the 13 digit on your NEC ID and your last name.
Use Library Research Guides
NEC Library Research Guides include recommended books, databases and other
resources for general and subject specific research.