Journals for Music Theory Articles
Links are to NEC's catalog entry for the publication, and/or to the publication's own website, where access may require registration. Electronic resources purchased by NEC libraries are accessible from computers on NEC's campus. NEC students, faculty, and staff can also access these resources from off-campus after logging in with NEC ID.
Primary theory journals
- Journal of Music Theory
- Music Analysis
- Music Theory Online
- Music Theory Spectrum
- Nineteenth-Century Music Review
- Perspectives of New Music
Journals associated with specific institutions
- College Music Symposium (College Music Society) publication website
- Gamut (Online Journal of the Music Theory Society of the Mid-Atlantic)
- In Theory Only (University of Michigan grad students)
- Indiana Theory Review (Indiana University grad students)
- Integral (Eastman School of Music grad students)
- Journal of Music Theory Pedagogy (University of Oklahoma)
- Journal of Schenkerian Studies (University of North Texas)
- Theory & Practice (journal of the Music Theory Society of New York State)
A great resource for bibliographies on various topics is Grove Music Online.
Glossaries of Analytical Terms
These can be found in:
- Ian Bent & William Drabkin, Norton/Grove Handbook in Music Analysis (NY & London: W. W. Norton, 1987).
- Deborah Stein, ed., Engaging Music (Oxford & NY: Oxford University Press, 2005).