NEC's Student Computer Lab operates six days and evenings per week (Sunday through Friday) during the academic year.
During the academic year, normal hours are:
- Sunday: 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Monday through Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
During student orientation, finals, holidays, and certain other times, operating hours are subject to change. Changes are posted outside of the Computer Lab. The Computer Lab is closed for the duration of summer break and winter break so that maintenance can be done on the computers.
The Computer Lab offers:
- 32 computing stations (Mac and PC)
- Internet access
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher)
- black & white printing
- music notation software (Finale, Sibelius)
- audio editing/conversion software (Audacity, iTunes)
- image editing software (Photoshop Elements)
- video capture, video editing, and DVD burning (Premiere Elements, Nero, iMovie/iDVD)
Typical college student’s technology needs
- Write papers and create presentations
- Access reading assignments and research materials
- Print homework
- Communicate with teachers via e-mail
- Use the Internet for research or pleasure
- Watch videos and listen to music assignments
Potential additional needs for NEC students
- Create scores (Finale or Sibelius)
- Research performance opportunities
- Create performance flyers and recital programs
- Edit audio and video of performances
- Create audition CDs and DVDs
- Online networking, e.g. social media, band promotion
- Create artistic or academic portfolios, including web-based portfolios