Renewing your visa

The visa stamp in your passport is a travel document. The expiration date on your student visa shows the last date which you may enter the US in student status (provided that you have the valid I-20). Generally, the expiration date on the student visa corresponds to the expected graduation date listed on your I-20.

The visa stamp does not indicate how long you may remain in the United States. When you enter the US, a border official will create your electronic I-94 record with a "D/S" if traveling by air or sea. They will create a paper I-94 if traveling by land. This stands for "Duration of Status" and means that you can remain in the US as long as you are maintaining your student status and have a valid, unexpired I-20. You may remain in the United States even if your visa has expired as long as you are maintaining your status.

If you travel outside the US after your visa has expired, you must apply for a renewal of your visa at the nearest US Embassy or Consulate before you can re-enter the US in student status.

You should bring the same documentation to the visa renewal that you brought to your original application: passport, I-20 and financial documentation. In addition, you should bring a transcript or certificate of enrollment proving your student status at New England Conservatory. Students who are extending their program do not have to pay the SEVIS fee.

Generally, it is not difficult to renew a student visa, but be advised that if you have completed your academic program and are using your Optional Practical Training, you may have more difficulty renewing your visa. Please discuss this situation with an International Student Advisor before travelling.