NEC accepts transfer applications at the undergraduate level. In addition to the general application materials required of a freshman applicant, transfer applicants must submit a statement (in the online application) explaining the reasons they wish to transfer to NEC.


Transfer applicants must submit transcripts from all colleges attended. Transfer applicants who have earned fewer than 32 college credits at the time of their application must also submit official high school transcripts.


Transfer applicants must also submit the NEC Transfer Release Form signed by the music executive of their current school.


Full evaluation of all college work completed prior to enrollment at NEC and the results of music examinations administered during orientation will determine final placement and thus the expected duration of the program of study.


NEC does not accept transfer applications at the graduate level. Graduate students may request to transfer up to four graduate credits from other institutions but may not use transfer credits to complete programs in fewer than the required minimum number of full-time semesters.


Special Concerns of Transfer Students


NEC awards transfer credit to students previously enrolled in degree programs at other institutions after approval from the Dean’s Office, as agreed in writing. To apply for transfer credit, students must provide course descriptions and official transcripts. Students with transcripts in a language other than English must provide a certified translation and an explanation of grades, class hours, and course descriptions.


Some frequently asked questions about transfer credit are listed below:


Can I transfer in credit for lessons in my major instrument?
Studio credits transfer according to audition placement. If your NEC department gives you third-year status on the basis of your audition, we will grant you two years of studio credit. If your department gives you second-year status, you will be granted one year of studio credit.


What about ensemble credit?
Ensemble credits transfer according to studio status. If you are admitted with third-year studio placement, NEC will grant you two years of ensemble credit (no more than four semester hours). If you are admitted with second-year studio placement, you will be granted one year of ensemble credit (no more than two semester hours).


Will chamber music credit transfer?
Chamber music credits must be fulfilled at NEC. However, violin, viola, and cello majors admitted to third-year studio may receive up to two credits.


If I have completed two years of study at another school, will I be a junior at NEC?
That depends. As explained above, your audition will determine your studio placement. However, third-year studio placement does not guarantee third-year academic status, and second-year studio placement does not guarantee second-year academic status.


We will transfer as much academic credit as possible from your previous school. You must transfer a minimum of 28 semester hours of credit to have second-year academic status, or 58 semester hours of credit to have third-year academic status. It is possible to enter with third-year studio status and only second-year academic status, and if there is a discrepancy between studio level and academic level, transfer students may be required to accept a lower studio level or academic level. We cannot determine the exact number of transferable credits until after you have arrived at NEC and taken placement exams. Most transfer students lose some credits when they transfer to NEC, and some need to add extra semesters to their program.


How many total credit hours can I transfer in to NEC?
NEC will accept a maximum of 60 semester hours toward the Bachelor of Music degree, or 36 semester hours toward the Undergraduate Diploma. Guidelines for various NEC departments are listed below.


Music Theory: Credits transfer with grades of C or better, after NEC placement testing. If you place out of part of NEC’s theory requirement, we will allow you to transfer in credit you have earned elsewhere to cover the courses you are not required to take at NEC.


Music History: Credits transfer with grades of C or better, provided that the work compares to NEC courses, as determined by the department.


Liberal Arts: Credits transfer with grades of C or better. Writing courses with grades of B- or better may substitute for NEC’s first-year writing course. The Liberal Arts department chair must approve substitutes for Freshman Seminars. NEC requires students to earn at least 21 semester hours of credit in Liberal Arts to be awarded the Bachelor of Music degree. Courses in history, philosophy, psychology, natural science, writing, mathematics, literature, art and art history, political science, foreign language, and a number of other areas can be transferred to count toward this requirement.


What if I have taken some courses on a pass/fail basis?
NEC does not accept pass/fail transfer credits.


Who evaluates my transfer credit?
Your Academic Advisor handles all transfer credit evaluations. Transcripts generally are not evaluated until after you have made your decision to attend NEC. Incoming transfer students meet with their Academic Advisor during orientation to discuss transfer credit and evaluate individual transcripts. Transfer students should make sure they have submitted their final transcript from their previous school(s) well before orientation begins.