Maintaining Status

All student visa holders are personally responsible for maintaining their visa status. Your signature on the I-20 form confirms that you understand the regulations and will conform to them.

Page 3 of this form details the regulations specific to your student visa. It is extremely important that you keep copies of all visa-related documents and that you seek advice only from the NEC International Student Office or an immigration attorney.

Do not rely on your friends for advice about your visa! Regulations can change from year to year, and what is legal for your friend may not be legal for you.

In order to maintain your F-1 student status you must:

  1. Maintain full-time enrollment at NEC (unless authorized to go part time)
  2. Keep your I-20 current at all times (check expiration dates on all front and back pages of your I-20)
  3. Keep your passport valid (check expiration date)
  4. Do not work without authorization and do not work more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  5. Notify NEC and the Department of Homeland Security of a change of local address within 10 days of the change.
  6. Make normal academic progress (see your academic advisor if you have questions about this)
  7. File a timely extension, transfer and/or change of academic status
  8. Obey state and federal laws and depart from the US in a timely matter when required.

Part-time enrollment authorization may be given one semester at a time under the following circumstances:

Documented Illness

You may request approval for a medical leave of absence for up to 12 months. You must have a recommendation for a medical leave from a licensed medical doctor or a licensed clinical psychologist.

Last semester of study

You may register for a part-time course load if you are completing your degree requirements during your last semester (including exams and/or recital). Please note that you are only eligible for ONE part-time extension for this reason. If you fail to complete your program during this semester, you will need to explore other options to maintain your status.