William Gibson (1916–2002) was principal trombonist of the Boston Symphony Orchestra from 1955 to 1975, during which time he also served on the NEC faculty and taught at the Tanglewood Music Center. After retirement from the BSO, he played with Opera Company of Boston and Opera New England. He had previously played in a number of other major orchestras, including the Philadelphia Orchestra. At the BSO, he was a founding member of the Boston Symphony Chamber Players. Many knew him from activities following his retirement from the BSO, including the community concerts he produced as managing director of the Needham Concert Society and West Stockbridge Concert Society, and his many editions of trombone music. His students included Earl Groner ’59 M.M., head of the Scarsdale (N.Y.) public schools, and Norman Bolter of the BSO and current NEC faculty.
Expand to view more