We are delighted that you are considering applying to NEC. For complete application and audition instructions, please visit the following sections of our website:
1) General Instructions for all applicants (this page)
2) Specific Instructions for your intended degree/diploma
3) Audition Information for all applicants
4) Audition Requirements for your intended major
If you have any questions throughout the application process, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Admission. We strongly recommend that you contact the staff member who specifically handles applications to your major or degree program as listed below.
Required Application Materials
The following materials are required of all applicants. Items that are starred (*) are submitted via our online application. For details about any of the items below, please click on the appropriate link.
- online application (www.unifiedapps.org)
- application fee of $115 U.S. *
- essay *
- artistic resume *
- repertoire list *
- letters of recommendation *
- official transcripts
- prescreening recording, if required for your major or degree/diploma
- any additional supporting materials for your program as outlined in the Specific Instructions
Any applicant (including U.S. citizens and permanent residents) whose first language was not English must meet our English language requirement.
Standardized test scores for the SAT, ACT and GRE are not required for any applicant.
All online & mailed materials should be received (not postmarked) by December 1st with the following exceptions:
- Recommendation letters are due December 15.
- Audition video recordings for students not performing a live audition are due February 1.
- TOEFL scores for non-native speakers of English are due March 1 except for applicants to Conducting. Conducting applicants must submit a TOEFL score by December 1.
All applications and prescreening recordings should be submitted online. Recommendation letters should be submitted via the online application form whenever possible. Transcripts and any other materials submitted by mail should be sent to the following address.
Please include the degree/diploma program and major/instrument to which you are applying in the address in the following format:
Office of Admission
ATTN: Degree & Major
New England Conservatory
290 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115-5018
NOTE: All materials submitted as part of the application process become the property of New England Conservatory of Music.
All instrumental and vocal applicants must perform an audition. Applicants to composition, music theory and musicology must submit appropriate materials for review; composition applicants living in North America must attend an on-campus interview if invited to do so after a faculty prescreening review of the submitted portfolio. All applicants should visit the Audition Information pages for information about these requirements.
NEC accepts applications for entry in January (Spring semester) on a space-available basis. Students interested in January admission should contact the Office of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-585-1101 to inquire about anticipated program openings before completing an application. If spring enrollment is available, all application materials are due on October 15th. Spring applicants should submit an audition recording; those applicants living within reasonable traveling distance to Boston may subsequently be asked to perform a live audition. Admission decisions for the Spring semester will be sent on a rolling basis starting in mid-November.