These policies are in effect for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Classes & Ensembles
Students may withdraw from courses, chamber music groups and jazz ensembles and receive a refund according to the following schedule:
- Before the first scheduled class or rehearsal, full tuition refund.
- After the first scheduled class or rehearsal, 75% tuition refund.
- After the second scheduled class or rehearsal, 50% tuition refund.
- After the third scheduled class or rehearsal, 25% tuition refund.
- After the fourth scheduled class or rehearsal, no refund.
Students may withdraw from large ensembles (orchestras and choruses) and receive a refund according to the following schedule:
- Before the first scheduled rehearsal, full tuition refund less $300 non-refundable deposit.
- After the first scheduled rehearsal, 75% tuition refund less $300 non-refundable deposit.
- After the second scheduled rehearsal, 50% tuition refund less $300 non-refundable deposit.
- After the third scheduled rehearsal, 25% tuition refund less $300 non-refundable deposit.
- After the fourth scheduled rehearsal, no refund.
Students must request withdrawal from a class in person or in writing to the Registrar. Informing an instructor of a decision to withdraw from a course, stopping or withholding payment, and not attending classes do not constitute withdrawal from a course. There is no refund for year-long Preparatory School courses dropped mid-year. NOTE: There is no refund for the $50 registration fee, $50 late fee, and $10 payment plan fee.
Exceptional refund requests will be reviewed when the request is made in writing with adequate documentation.
The school reserves the right to cancel any class or ensemble with insufficient enrollment. In the case of a course cancellation, the student will receive a full refund of tuition and the registration fee.
Students changing private teachers within an academic season must complete a Change of Private Teacher Form prior to making the course change. This form requires the signature of the current teacher, the new teacher, the parent, and the department chair and/or the Dean and Director of the Preparatory School.
Students are required to register for lessons in packages of 30, 24, or 18 lessons. Registering for fewer than 30 lessons requires the permission of the instructor. Students are expected to appear for regularly scheduled lessons. Teacher absences will be made up at mutually arranged times with the student. If the student and teacher agree that the number of registered lessons cannot be met, a refund may be requested before the end of the semester. Student absences for any reason do not qualify as refundable missed lessons. Teachers may make up these lessons at their discretion. Make-up lessons cannot be guaranteed if absence is incurred by the student. Because teachers set aside time slots on the basis of registrations and often refuse other students, the amount refunded to a student who wishes to withdraw must be agreed upon by both the instructor and the student.
Students are responsible for ensuring that they receive the lessons for which they have paid in the same semester. Students experiencing unusual teacher absentee problems should contact the Dean and Director of the Preparatory School. Any instances in which the teacher and student cannot agree will be referred to an administrative committee for a final decision. All students requesting a private lesson withdrawal must submit a Private Lesson Withdrawal Form to the Prep Registrar. This form requires the signature of the current private lesson faculty member and/or the Department Chair.
NOTE: There is no refund for the $50 registration fee, $50 late fee, and $10 payment plan fee.