Fall Auditions for Prep Large Ensembles

There are two types of fall large ensemble auditions: seating auditions and entrance auditions (space-availability only).

Seating Auditions

Seating auditions are for students who were placed in specific ensembles through the spring (May) large ensemble auditions. These auditions are an opportunity for students to play directly for the conductor of their assigned group and are also used to determine seating and part(s) assignments for the coming school year. Each large ensemble has specific seating audition requirements for their groups. Please visit the Fall Audition Requirements page for more information.

For the 2021-2022 Academic Year, NEC Prep will be reviewing seating auditions via video through our 2021-2022 Placements Form. Please contact the Prep Office if you have any questions regarding this process.

Do I need to take a seating audition?

Most of our large ensembles require a Fall seating audition. However, not all large ensembles require one.

YES - Orchestra (with the exception of String Chamber Orchestra), Jr. MYWE, choruses, and Baroque Ensemble members need to take a seating audition.

NO - Sr. MYWE, MYWE Concert Band, Youth Jazz Orchestra, Youth Brass Ensemble, Trombone Choir, Clarinet Consort, Cello Choir, and String Chamber Orchestra members do not need to take a seating audition.

When is my seating audition?

For the 2021-2022 Academic Year, NEC Prep will be reviewing seating auditions via our 2021-2022 Placements Form. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the form, please contact the Prep Office by phone at 617-585-1160 or email at prep@necmusic.edu.

What do I have to prepare for the seating audition?

Repertoire requirements vary by group and can page found on the Fall Audition Requirements page.

Entrance Auditions

Entrance auditions for students who missed the spring (May) large ensemble auditions are available on a space-availability basis only. To learn more about fall entrance audition opportunities, please contact the Preparatory School Office directly.