March 13, 2020 | Given the rapidly-evolving nature of the outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19), NEC will suspend the Summer Orchestra Institute for this summer.
Please know that this not a decision made lightly. Our first priority is the health, wellness, and safety of our community, of which SOI is an integral part.
SOI is unparalleled because of its exceptional students—many of whom travel from across the nation and around the world to live and learn on our campus. By making this decision now, we hope that students will have the opportunity to pursue other fulfilling experiences this summer.
We look forward to being in touch with all of you about future opportunities at NEC, including a number of virtual offerings that will become available in the coming weeks.
I wish all of you well in the coming days, and hope to stay in touch in the future. Best wishes,
Dean and Director, Preparatory School
Summer Orchestra Institute Artistic Director
July 13-25, 2020
Rebecca Bogers, Artistic Director
Andres Lopera, 2020 Conductor
This two-week full symphony orchestra program is open to intermediate to advanced-level strings, winds, brass, harp and percussion between the age of 13-19. Daily activities include full orchestral rehearsals, sectional rehearsals, coaching sessions, masterclasses, group reflections on progress, individual practice time and a final orchestral concert in NEC's historic Jordan Hall. Opportunities for chamber music and private lessons will also be available.
The Summer Orchestra Institute (SOI) experience emphasizes intensive musical preparation, with special focus on concentration, practice and performance techniques, interpretation, phrasing, and general musicianship. Students will also develop communication and leadership skills through their musical collaborations, learning the joy of music making while developing lasting friendships. Musical off-campus trips are scheduled throughout the two-week session. Students have the option of choosing to be a day student or residential student in our state of the art NEC Residence Hall located in the heart of Boston. Additional evening activities are planned for residential students.
Please contact the Program Director at email@example.com regarding any questions.
- Intensive 2-week session
- Full-time faculty lead ensemble and individual coaching
- String, woodwind, brass and percussion coaches
- Daily sectionals with coaches and full orchestra rehearsals
- Repertoire includes de Falla's Three Cornered Hat and Dvorak's Symphony No. 9, "From the New World"
- Final concert in historic New England Conservatory's Jordan Hall, Saturday, July 25th at 7:00pm
2020 Tuition and Fees
Application Fee: $40
Registration Fee: $50
Housing Fee (Optional): $1590
COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION
Complete the online application. There is a $40 application fee. If you have questions about the program, auditions requirements or the application please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-585-1160.
You will need to provide one recommendation letter as part of your application. The recommender should be your most recent private teacher (or a music teacher or ensemble director).
The application system will send the recommender an email to register and complete the recommendation via the online system. This process will happen as soon as you enter the contact information and save your application; you do not need to submit the application for your recommenders to be notified. You will be able to check the status of your recommendation on your application.
The recommendation letter is due on the same day as the application deadline of February 15th. We encourage you to add the recommender information as soon as it is confirmed to allow the recommender time to complete the letter prior to the deadline.
SELECT YOUR AUDITION TYPE
Students have the option to choose a live audition or a video audition. There is no preference given to either recorded or live auditions; both methods are accepted and reviewed equally by NEC. Applicants may audition in one of the following ways:
- Live Audition - Live auditions will be available at NEC (33 Gainsborough Street) between February 4th - February 14th. When submitting your application, you will be prompted to select an audition type. Please select "Live Audition" and select all the dates that you would be available for an audition. You will receive a confirmation email with your audition time after submitting your application.
- Video Recorded Audition - When submitting your application, you will be prompted to select an audition type. Please select "video audition". Your application will not be considered complete until the video audition has been submitted. Each piece must be performed in a single, unedited take with no accompaniment. Each piece should be submitted as a separate file and clearly labeled with the composer's name, title of work, and movement (if applicable). It is not necessary to submit a professionally produced recording. Applicants should make sure that proper lighting is used and that the camera shows full range of movement and use of instrument. The following file types are supported: MPEG, MPG, MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, VOB.
- Scale of your choice
- 1 solo of your choice
- Required Excerpt(s) - available below
October: Application available online
November 1: Excerpts available online
February 4-14: Live auditions available in Boston
February 15: Online application deadline and scholarship application priority deadline*
We will continue to accept applications until all seats are filled
March 10: Notification of acceptance
April 3: Registration deadline (for both tuition and housing + the $50 registration fee)
July 12: Resident students move into the Residence Hall
July 13-25: Summer Orchestra Institute (including weekends!)
July 25: Final Summer Orchestra Institute concert in Jordan Hall, 7:30pm
July 26: Resident students move out of the Residence Hall
*Contact Prep@necmusic.edu to request an SOI Scholarship Application
- Full refund if withdrawn more than 90 days before program begins
- 75% refund if withdrawn 90-61 days before program begins
- 50% refund if withdrawn 60-46 days before program begins
- 25% refund if withdrawn 45-31 days before program begins
- No refund if withdrawn after June 13