NEC Summer Orchestra Institute at Walnut Hill School for the Arts
July 18 - 31, 2021
Rebecca Bogers, Artistic Director
Nicola Conraths, Director of Artistic Studies, Walnut Hill School for the Arts
This in-person two-week ensemble program is open to intermediate to advanced-level strings, winds, brass, harp and percussion between the age of 13-18. Daily activities include chamber music rehearsals, orchestral rehearsals, sectional rehearsals, coaching sessions, masterclasses, group reflections on progress and individual practice time. Private lessons will also be available for student to sign up for.
The Summer Orchestra Institute (SOI) experience emphasizes intensive musical preparation, with special focus on concentration, practice and performance techniques, interpretation, phrasing, and general musicianship. Students will also develop communication and leadership skills through their musical collaborations, learning the joy of music making while developing lasting friendships. Students have the option of choosing to be a day student or residential student on the stunning Walnut Hill School for the Arts campus in Natick. Additional evening activities are planned for residential students.
Walnut Hill's sprawling campus offers outdoor rehearsal and performance venues and will provide a rich residential experience for our boarding students to enjoy summer weather on their extensive lawns and live in a community of artists from other disciplines like dance and theatre.
Please contact email@example.com regarding any questions.
- In-person music making with peers and superb faculty!
- Intensive 2-week session
- Full-time faculty lead ensemble and individual coaching
- String, woodwind, brass, percussion and harp coaches
- Daily sectionals with coaches and ensemble rehearsals
- Final showcase concerts
Take a 360º Virtual Campus Tour of Walnut Hill School for the Arts.
Review the Walnut Hill School for the Arts COVID-19 Rules & Regulations
2021 Tuition and Fees
Application Fee: $40
Registration Fee: $50 (non-refundable)
Covid Testing Fee: $80
Housing Fee (Optional): $1590
COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION
Complete the online application. There is a $40 application fee. If you have questions about the program, auditions requirements or the application please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-585-1160. The 2021 summer application will open on Friday February 19, 2021
Update: We are still accepting application on a rolling basis for the following instruments: Violin, Double Bass, Bassoon, Trombone, Bass Trombone, and Percussion. All other instruments may apply to be considered for the waitlist.
You will need to provide one recommendation letter as part of your application. The recommender should be your most recent private teacher (or a music teacher or ensemble director).
The application system will send the recommender an email to register and complete the recommendation via the online system. This process will happen as soon as you enter the contact information and save your application; you do not need to submit the application for your recommenders to be notified. You will be able to check the status of your recommendation on your application.
The recommendation letter is due on the same day as the application deadline of March 26. We encourage you to add the recommender information as soon as it is confirmed to allow the recommender time to complete the letter prior to the deadline.
SELECT YOUR AUDITION TYPE
SOI only accepts Video auditions for the 2021 season.
- Video Recorded Audition - When submitting your application, you will be prompted to select an audition type. Please select "video audition". Your application will not be considered complete until the video audition has been submitted. Each piece must be performed in a single, unedited take with no accompaniment. Each piece should be submitted as a separate file and clearly labeled with the composer's name, title of work, and movement (if applicable). It is not necessary to submit a professionally produced recording. Applicants should make sure that proper lighting is used and that the camera shows full range of movement and use of instrument. The following file types are supported: MPEG, MPG, MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, VOB.
Two Solos of the Applicant's Choice
February 19: Application available online
March 26: Online application deadline and scholarship application priority deadline*
- We are still accepting application on a rolling basis for the following instruments: Violin, Double Bass, Bassoon, Trombone, Bass Trombone, and Percussion. All other instruments may apply to be considered for the waitlist.
April 2: Notification of acceptance
April 9: Registration deadline (for both tuition and housing + the $50 Registration Fee + $80 Covid Testing Fee)
July 17: Resident students move into the Residence Hall
July 18-31: Summer Orchestra Institute (including weekends!)
August 1: Resident students move out of the Residence Hall
*Contact Prep@necmusic.edu to request an SOI Scholarship Application
Tuition Refund Policy:
- Full refund if withdrawn more than 90 days before program begins
- 75% refund if withdrawn 90-61 days before program begins
- 50% refund if withdrawn 60-46 days before program begins
- 25% refund if withdrawn 45-31 days before program begins
- No refund if withdrawn after June 17