Live auditions at NEC are required for all applicants to Collaborative Piano.
Prescreening recordings are required for all collaborative piano applicants. After reviewing the recording guidelines, please upload your prescreening recording files as part of your online application.
Master of Music and Graduate Diploma Prescreening
Submit a recording with four selections:
- Two of the four vocal repertoire songs listed below under the MM and GD Live Audition requirements
- One movement from the Beethoven violin or cello sonata which you plan to present at your audition
- One additional movement from a work for piano and solo instrument (can be another movement from the Beethoven sonata or a different instrumental work)
Graduate Diploma with Vocal Specialization (Opera Emphasis) Prescreening
Four of the six live audition pieces listed below
Doctor of Musical Arts Prescreening
DMA applicants should prepare a prescreening recording with 30 minutes of music selected from the live audition repertoire for doctoral candidates listed below. Please choose a selection from each of the first four categories.
Collaborative Piano applicants should prepare the repertoire listed below. Candidates may be asked to sight-read vocal or instrumental during the audition. Both an audition repertoire list and a complete repertoire list (instrumental and vocal) must be submitted with your application. Any changes to the audition requirements must be discussed with Cameron Stowe, Chair of Collaborative Piano, at least four weeks before the scheduled audition.
Applicants may bring their own vocalists and instrumentalists or may request a list of potential collaborative partners from NEC. This list will be available in mid-January.
Live Audition Dates 2020
Monday, February 17, 2020
Tuesday, February 18, 2020
Master of Music and Graduate Diploma Live Audition
- Vocal repertoire (all high keys):
Schubert "Frühlingstraum" (from Winterreise)
Debussy "Il pleure dans mon coeur"
Barber "St. Ita's Vision"
- Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 7 in C minor (op. 30, no. 2)
Beethoven Cello Sonata No. 3 in A Major (op. 69)
- Brahms Violin Sonata No. 2 in A Major (op. 100)
Graduate Diploma with Vocal Specialization (Opera Emphasis) Live Audition
- Richard Strauss, “Sein wir wieder gut” from Ariadne auf Naxos (through rehearsal 117)
- Donizetti, “Quel guardo il cavaliere” from Don Pasquale
- Puccini, “Dunque è proprio finito” (Act III quartet) from La Bohème (through end of act)
- Mozart, “Via resti servita” from Le Nozze di Figaro (applicant should be prepared to sing either vocal part while playing)
- Debussy, “Green” from Ariettes oublieés
- Richard Strauss, “Morgen!” Op. 27, No. 4
Doctor of Musical Arts Live Audition
Choose one selection from each of the following groups:
- Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 7 in C minor (op. 30, no. 2) or Beethoven Cello Sonata No. 3 in A Major (op. 69)
Schubert songs (high keys; prepare complete list):
"Auf dem Wasser zu singen"
- Brahms Violin Sonata No. 2 in A Major (op. 100) or Brahms Violin Sonata No. 3 in D minor (op. 108)
Brahms songs (high keys; prepare complete list):
"Die Mainacht" (op. 43)
"Botschaft" (op. 47)
"Wie Melodien zieht es mir" (op. 105)
"Ständchen" (op. 106)
- Franck Violin Sonata
Debussy Ariettes oubliées (high keys; complete cycle)
- Hindemith Sonata for Viola and Piano, op. 11, no 4.
Barber Hermit Songs (high keys; complete cycle)