On this page, you will find information on NEC Prep's Absence Policy and how to report absences. We appreciate your cooperation in properly reporting absences.
Guidelines for Participation in Preparatory School Ensembles & Classes
NEC supports students’ participation in their school orchestras, district and all-state opportunities, and community music groups. However, the students and parents are responsible for planning accordingly to minimize the number of absences from NEC.
If a student must miss for school activities/sports or all-state orchestra, do not join elective activities that will require even infrequent Saturday participation
- Seniors, please note that frequent college visits scheduled to conflict with Saturday rehearsals will be problematic
- SATs are a direct, unavoidable conflict with the morning ensembles, but you must consider them an absence, and follow the procedure below.
- If a rehearsal is missed, it is the responsibility of the student to inquire about any material covered and to request and prepare any new music prior to the next rehearsal.
Attendance is required at all regularly scheduled classes, rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and performances. Students are expected to be ready to begin on time. Attendance will be taken at the beginning of each rehearsal and class.
- Anyone arriving more than 30 minutes late or leaving 30 minutes early will be considered absent from the entire rehearsal or class.
- Absences from performances and dress rehearsals are not permitted. Failure to attend a concert is grounds for immediate dismissal from the ensemble and may affect future ensemble placement.
Procedure for Probation and Dismissal
Students may be placed on probation after three absences in a semester (concert period) at the discretion of the Music Director/Teacher and the Director of the Preparatory School. If placed on probation, the student's certificate eligibility, scholarship, and ensemble assignments will be reconsidered. In some cases, a student may be excluded from the concert.
To report an absence for private lessons, please contact your teacher directly. If you need your instructor's contact information, please contact the Prep Office at (617) 585-1160 or email@example.com, and we can assist you.
To report a foreseeable absence for a class or ensemble, please fill out an Absence Request Form (available at the bottom of this page and in the Prep office) and submit it to your ensemble or class manager. Requests need to be submitted at least two weeks before the date of absence. All absences must be approved by the NEC Prep Office prior to the absence date. We urge you to submit requests as soon as you know about them so that there is plenty of time for them to be approved.
You may submit it an absence using one of the following methods:
- Print and hand deliver to the Prep Office at 241 St. Botolph Street, Room SB 120
- Scan and e-mail to your Ensemble & Class Managers
- Fax your form to (617) 585-1135 attn: Preparatory School
- Mail to: NEC Preparatory School, 290 Huntington Avenue, Boston MA 02115-5018
NOTE: You will receive an email from the Prep Office when your absence has been approved.
Absences are considered "last-minute" due to sudden, unforeseeable emergencies and sickness.
Please report last minute absences by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (617) 585-1160.
Please e-mail your ensemble or class manager directly to report an absence for every group the student participates in. For example, if the student is a member of Preparatory String Orchestra, Chamber Music, and Music Theory, you would send the form to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com.
If you are unsure of the student's exact participation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact the appropriate managers for you.
- Baroque Ensembles - email@example.com
- Chamber Music - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Children's Choruses (including Preparatory Chorus and Chamber Chorus) - email@example.com
- CI A Cappella - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Composition Classes - email@example.com
- Jazz - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jr. MYWE - email@example.com
- Junior Repertory Orchestra - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Music Theory & The Western Musical Experience - email@example.com
- Musical Theatre - firstname.lastname@example.org
- MYWE Concert Band - email@example.com
- Piano Seminar - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Preparatory String Orchestra - email@example.com
- Sr. MYWE - firstname.lastname@example.org
- String Chamber Orchestra - email@example.com
- String Repertory Orchestra - firstname.lastname@example.org
- String Training Orchestras - email@example.com
- Trombone Choir - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth Chorale, Camerata, Young Women's Chorale - email@example.com
- Youth Brass Ensemble - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth Jazz Orchestra - email@example.com
- Youth Repertory Orchestra - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth Philharmonic Orchestra - email@example.com
- Youth Symphony - firstname.lastname@example.org
Absence Request Form
Please download and submit this form for any absences. We appreciate your cooperation in properly reporting absences.