Each Spring, NEC Prep holds auditions for large ensemble entrance to and advancement within the program for the following school year. This year, NEC Prep will be reviewing all large ensemble auditions via video in our application system, Embark. The Embark application will be available online in mid-March 2021. If you submitted an application/audition for the large ensembles last year, you do not need to create a new account. The application and audition video deadline will be May 14, 2021.
Video Audition Requirements
- If you submitted a large ensemble application, spring private lesson evaluation, or fall placement form in the last year, it is not necessary to create a new account.
- Video recordings of audition materials will be submitted online through the Embark application, which will be available online in mid-March, 2021. Physical CDs, DVDs, tapes, emailed files, and YouTube links are not accepted as audition files.
- The recording should be in one of the following video file types: MPEG, MPG, MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, or VOB.
- Record the video of your scales in one continuous video. You are welcome to pause or breathe between each scale. Do not edit the video.
- Each contrasting solo should be recorded in separate videos. You may upload the solos in whichever order you choose.
- When you are presenting the orchestra excerpts, please record in one continuous take. Please prepare the excerpts, in the order listed, that most closely match your level of playing based on recommendation from your teacher. It is not required to complete all excerpts; however, all excerpts are required if completing the entire list. You are welcome to pause or breathe between your selections. Do not edit the video.
- Your face, hands, instrument, and bow stroke should remain in the frame for the duration of the video. If you are using a music stand, please be sure that it is not blocking the frame. Please use proper lighting.
- Instrumentalists: Audition videos with accompaniment will not be accepted. Please submit unaccompanied audition material.
- If you have questions on how to submit a video audition, please be in touch with our office.
Audition repertoire can vary by instrument and audition type. For audition repertoire requirements, please visit the Spring Audition Requirements page.