On this page, you will find information on NEC Prep's Absence Policy and how to report absences. We appreciate your cooperation in properly reporting absences.
Guidelines for Participation in Preparatory School Ensembles & Classes
NEC supports students’ participation in their school orchestras, district and all-state opportunities, and community music groups. However, the students and parents are responsible for planning accordingly to minimize the number of absences from NEC.
If a student must miss for school activities/sports or all-state orchestra, do not join elective activities that will require even infrequent Saturday participation
- Seniors, please note that frequent college visits scheduled to conflict with Saturday rehearsals will be problematic
- SATs are a direct, unavoidable conflict with the morning ensembles, but you must consider them an absence, and follow the procedure below.
- If a rehearsal is missed, it is the responsibility of the student to inquire about any material covered and to request and prepare any new music prior to the next rehearsal.
Attendance is required at all regularly scheduled classes, rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and performances. Students are expected to be ready to begin on time. Attendance will be taken at the beginning of each rehearsal and class.
- Anyone arriving more than 30 minutes late or leaving 30 minutes early will be considered absent from the entire rehearsal or class.
- Absences from performances and dress rehearsals are not permitted. Failure to attend a concert is grounds for immediate dismissal from the ensemble and may affect future ensemble placement.
Procedure for Probation and Dismissal
Students are expected to appear for regularly scheduled lessons. Teacher absences will be made up at mutually arranged times with the student. If the student and teacher agree that the number of registered lessons cannot be met, a refund may be requested before the end of the semester. Student absences for any reason do not qualify as refundable missed lessons. Teachers may make up these lessons at their discretion. Make-up lessons cannot be guaranteed if absence is incurred by the student.
Classes & Ensembles
Students are allowed 1 unexcused absence per module, and no more than 3 unexcused absences in the semester.
If a student has more than 1 unexcused absence in a single module we may schedule a performance evaluation, wherein we ask the student to join the Zoom session 5 minutes early to have a check-in to reiterate the attendance policy then will be asked to play for the conductor to make sure they are on track. If a student reaches more than 3 unexcused absences in a semester, we will then need to reconsider their place in the group.
Reporting an Absence