This fall semester, the post-Thanksgiving period brings an opportunity for academic enrichment through a wide-ranging series of master classes, offered online and available to all students, whether on-campus or remote.
Small ensembles and performance-based classes will conclude at the Thanksgiving holiday, while academic classes and studio lessons continue through December.
This series was designed to complement the ongoing teaching and learning taking place over the course of the fall semester, and demonstrates NEC's commitment to continually enhancing the student experience, even in one of society's most challenging of times. For this series, we are collaborating with the LA Phil, particularly for woodwinds, brass, and percussion.
For some of the master classes in this series, NEC will be making use of the low-latency music-making approaches we have pioneered throughout the fall semester to enable realtime musical learning.
Master Class Series Schedule
Some master classes will be open to the public for viewing; these will be listed on the NEC event calendar
Master classes will include:
- Nov 30, 7 p.m. ET | Chris Still, trumpet (LA Phil) | Brass
- Dec 1, 7 p.m. ET | Grisha Goryachev (NEC) | Guitar
- Dec 1, 8 p.m. ET | Denis Bouriakov, principal flute (LA Phil) | Woodwinds
- Dec 2, 4:30 p.m. ET | Joe Pereira, principal timpani (LA Phil) | Percussion
- Dec 3, 7 p.m. ET | Paul Radke, trombone (LA Phil) | Brass
- Dec 7, 7 p.m. ET | Andrew Bain, principal horn (LA Phil) | Brass
- Dec 7, 7 p.m. ET | Teng Li, principal violist (LA Phil) | Strings
- Dec 8, 12 p.m. ET | Emmanuel Ceysson, harp (LA Phil) | Harp
- Dec 8, 6 p.m. ET | Jason Moran (NEC) | Jazz/Composition
- Dec 9, 7 p.m. ET | Robert deMaine, principal cello (LA Phil) | Strings
- Dec 10, 7 p.m. ET | Martin Chalifour, principal concertmaster (LA Phil) | Strings
- Dec 10, 7 p.m. ET | Chris Hanulik, principal bass (LA Phil) | Strings
- Dec 11, 2 p.m. ET | John Relyea, bass baritone | Undergraduate Voice
- Dec 14, 10 a.m. ET | Marc-André Hamelin | Piano
- Dec 15, 12:15 p.m. ET | Julia Bullock, soprano | Graduate Voice
Additional master classes, to be scheduled, will be presented by:
- Matt Howard, principal percussion (LA Phil) | Percussion
- Mary Halvorson | Contemporary Improvisation