Fred DiLucci was born in Fitchburg, MA on August 12, 1922 to Vincent and Mary (Padula) DiLucci. Fred graduated from Fitchburg High School and in 1942, he enlisted in the US Army. DiLucci participated in the battles of Normandy, Northern France, the Rhineland, and the Ardennes. DiLucci’s battalion arrived at Normandy one month after the Allied invasion. He received a bronze star and distinguished unit badge and was honorably discharged in 1945.
Prior to entering the service, DiLucci had begun attending the New England Conservatory but his studies were interrupted when he was drafted. After leaving the service, DiLucci returned to New England Conservatory, earning a degree in Public School Music in 1948. While at NEC, he studied with Francis Findlay and was a member of the orchestra (1942, 1947-1948), Neume board (1947-1948), and Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (1946-1948), serving as its Warden in 1947-1948.
DiLucci worked as a clerk for the U.S. Postal Service for many years. He was also active in the music field for over 60 years. DiLucci was a violist in the Thayer Symphony Orchestra for 15 years. He was also a member of the Fitchburg Lodge of Elks #847 from 1950-1980 and was a longtime parishioner of St. Anthony de Padua Church.
DiLucci passed away on October 4, 2008 at the Health Alliance Leominster Hospital.
The DiLucci Papers consist of one flat manuscript box (10 folders) containing paper materials, photographs, and artifacts.
This collection of papers, photos, and memorabilia was donated to the NEC Archives in July 2009, after DiLucci’s death in October 2008. The donation was carried out by DiLucci’s attorney, Christine M. Tree, of Fitchburg, MA.
Access to the DiLucci Papers granted by the Archivist. Appointments must be scheduled in advance. There are no restrictions pertaining to this collection.
All copyrights to this collection belong to the New England Conservatory. Permission to publish materials from this collection is granted by the Archivist. This collection should be cited as NECA 18.10. Fred J. DiLucci Collection, New England Conservatory Archives, Boston, MA.