Skip to main content

Admitted Students

Video Thumbnail

Congratulations on your admission to NEC! We look forward to having you as a part of our community.

All admitted students who wish to enroll must complete and return the required forms by the deadlines listed below.

Deadlines for Fall Enrollment


  • April 15: Graduate students: Intent to Enroll Form and $500 tuition deposit due
  • May 1: Undergraduate students: Intent to Enroll Form and $500 tuition deposit due
  • May 15: International students must submit Certification of Finances form and Bank Statements
  • June 1: Housing Application and $525 housing deposit due for all undergraduates and any graduates wishing to live on campus
  • June 30: Student Health Report due
  • July 1: Final transcripts due. Any Housing Accommodation requests due.
  • August 25: NEC Residence Hall opens
  • August 27 - 31: New student orientation
Forms for All Admitted Students

Abstract of seats in Jordan Hall

Intent to Enroll Form

All students who plan to enroll at NEC must complete this web form. You will also need to send the $500 enrollment deposit. In order to avoid additional fees, we strongly suggest paying the enrollment and/or housing deposit via personal check or money order. Please contact us at for information about the accepted forms of payment, including wire transfer information.

Deposits should be sent to:
New England Conservatory
Admissions Office
290 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115

For additional information about financing your education, we encourage you to read the forms and guides available in NetPartner, the NEC Online Financial Aid System, as well as the Tuition and Financial Aid portion of this website.

Detail of a carving in NEC's Jordan Hall

Decline Offer of Admission Form

If you do not intend to enroll, we ask that you submit the Decline Offer form as soon as possible. Your response may allow us to welcome in a student from the wait-list, so we would sincerely appreciate your courtesy and professionalism in providing a prompt response no later than April 15 for graduate students and May 1 for undergraduates.

Jordan Hall cherubs

Health Center Information

All enrolling students must review all three documents and submit health reports by the deadline listed above.

There is a late fee of $150 US for any health reports submitted after the deadline.

Graduating students returning for a new degree must check with Health Services before the end of the semester to learn what information is required for their re-entry to avoid a late fee and/or registration block. Dual Degree students should submit the immunization documents required by Harvard or Tufts for their NEC record. All students are required to have health insurance that meets specific standards set by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

NEC offers a student insurance policy, and, in accordance with state law, all students are automatically enrolled in the plan but may waive participation if they can demonstrate that they have a U.S.-based insurance plan that meets the state requirements. Students will receive information about the school’s insurance plan when they receive their tuition bill.

Jordan Hall detail

Meningococcal Disease Waiver Form

Students must complete the Meningococcal Disease Waiver Form to complete enrollment at NEC.

Jordan Hall detail

Student Benefits

Information about some of the benefits available to students attending NEC.

Jordan Hall detail

Certification of Finances Form

Any student who is not a citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States and who requires an F-1 student visa must complete this form and submit with the appropriate documentation of funds no later than May 15. Please contact the admissions office to be sent the current form and instructions for completing it.

New Student Orientation

Orientation begins on August 27 and is required for all new students regardless of their level or course of study. Incoming students must take placement exams and ensemble auditions and attend information sessions. Specific information about orientation will be sent by the Office of Student Services over the summer.

Orientation 2018

On-Campus Housing
All incoming undergraduate students, including transfer students, are required to live on campus in the Residence Hall for their freshman and sophomore years. Incoming undergraduate will receive and email with on campus housing information and a link to the electronic housing application from the Resident Director after they have completed the Intent to Enroll form. It is important that students themselves complete their own housing application; parents, caregivers, siblings, etc. should not complete the housing application on behalf of incoming students. . 

Students who may need a housing accommodation should complete the Housing Accommodations Request Form and provide supporting documentation from a health care provider. Students who would like to live in the Residence Hall with an emotional support animal must complete the Housing Accommodations Request Form and the Emotional Support Animal Registration Form. Requests for accommodations must be submitted by 5pm on July 1, 2018. Students requesting accommodations should also complete the electronic housing application.

Freshmen and sophomores who are married or are living at home with their parent(s)/legal guardian at their permanent, local address may request an exemption from this requirement. To request an exemption, please email Perry Doherty, Director of Residence Life and Housing, your request including detailed information about why you are requesting an exemption, no later than 5pm on July 1, 2018. Late requests will not be considered.

On campus housing is not guaranteed for incoming graduate students or transfer students who have completed four semesters at a prior institution. Incoming graduate students can sign up on the On Campus Housing Wait List which will be available starting at noon on Thursday, April 19, 2018. Multiple factors will be considered when offering spaces to students on the Wait List. Please contact Perry Doherty, Director of Residence Life and Housing, with further questions regarding on campus housing.

Off-Campus Housing
Resources for finding housing in the Boston area can be found at Off-Campus Housing.

Our Musical Community

NEC is an environment of rich connection among our community of faculty, students, staff, and audiences. Our students not only immerse themselves in their musical studies with an intense focus, but are also encouraged to expand their perspectives and cross boundaries. The result: each student discovers their individual authentic voice.

Billing and Tuition

The tuition bill for the fall semester is mailed in early July and is due in early August. If you would prefer to pay in monthly installments rather than in lump sums for each semester, a monthly payment plan is available through Tuition Management Systems (TMS), a division of KeyBank. For questions about the monthly payment plan, please call TMS at 888-463-6994. For all other questions regarding billing, please contact the NEC Business Office at 617-585-1120.

Please review the complete information on tuition and fees for coming academic year.

Further Information for Enrolling Students

Enrolling students must submit a final, official transcript documenting the degree/diploma earned and date of graduation. If we already have this final transcript on file, you do not need to submit a new copy. Transfer students must submit final transcripts that include grades for the last semester attended. Incoming homeschooled students must submit final records indicating that they completed high school equivalent studies in accordance with the homeschool laws of their state of residence. Students who have not submitted a final transcript will not be allowed to enroll and may place any awarded financial aid monies in jeopardy.

All incoming orchestral students will need to perform an audition for the orchestra conductors at orientation. Please stay tuned to for details.

Studio Placement
Placements in faculty studios are determined in close consultation with department chairs and individual faculty members. Many factors are taken into consideration, including audition results, the number of openings in any given studio, etc. Studio placements for many departments are sent shortly after admissions decisions. If you would like more information, please contact your Admissions counselor.