Your Campus Credentials
Penguin Pass is the official identification card of New England Conservatory—required for access to essential campus services. New students should request a card when you begin your studies, and you should carry the card at all times while on campus. The Penguin Pass is also used as a primary mode of identification by faculty, staff, and others associated with NEC.
Parents of NEC Preparatory School students do not receive Penguin Passes, but may pick up Parent I.D.s at the Prep office.
Incoming Preparatory School students are required to submit a photograph via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The image should be attached to the body of an e-mail message containing your full legal name and date of birth. The photo you submit should be a recent (within 6 months) likeness of you against a plain—preferably white—background. Students who have e-mailed a photograph will receive an e-mail notifying you when your Penguin Pass i.d. is ready for pickup at the Prep office. Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for processing.
Uses for Your Penguin Pass
- Library Privileges
- Access to Campus Buildings via card access entrances
- Cashless Purchases at Laundry Facilities, Vending Machines, Print Shop, and Public Copiers
- Cashless Purchases at Local Businesses
Cold Cash is a prepaid spending account on the Penguin Pass offering a safe and convenient way to make cashless purchases on and around campus. Cold Cash offers a great way for you to manage spending while at the Conservatory. There are no costs or fees to use Cold Cash, a complimentary service provided by New England Conservatory. Be sure that you or your parents add value to your Cold Cash account prior to arriving on campus. Additional value can be added at any time.
Benefits of Cold Cash
- Convenient—Make purchases with the ID Card you already carry. No need to carry cash, exact change or debit/credit cards.
- Prepaid—Only spend what’s in the account. The balance is immediately adjusted as you use your card.
- Fast and Easy to Use—Just swipe and go at self service locations or present to the cashier for payment.
- Easy to Add Value—Add funds to Cold Cash by cash, check or debit/credit card—via mail, web, phone, or in person at the NEC Business Office.
- 24/7 Account Access—Add value, view transactions, and more! Once registered you are in total control of your account 24/7 via online login.
- Recurring Allowance—Create your own schedule to automatically add value to Cold Cash—a great budgeting tool for students and parents!
- Safe & Secure—If your Penguin Pass is lost, the account can be suspended immediately and value transferred to a new card.
- Carries Over—Add value with confidence knowing funds carry over from semester to semester and year to year for as long as you are at New England Conservatory.
To replace a lost or stolen Penguin Pass, contact NEC Prep at 617-585-1160. There is a $15.00 fee for replacement I.D.s, which you can pay via cash or check (writte out to New England Conservatory) at the Prep Office (SB 120).
If you have any questions about your Cold Cash account, please contact the Penguin Pass Service Center at 1-866-434-5443, Monday through Friday between 8am and 6pm. ET or via email at email@example.com.
If you are a merchant that accepts NEC's Penguin Pass for Cold Cash payments, you can get 24/7 support from CardSmith’s Merchant services at 1-877-711-9089. You will receive a live answer Mon–Fri, 8am–6pm, or after hours pager service to the technician on call.