Whatever your musical goals, lessons at SCE can help you get where you want to go.
Study one-on-one with our exceptional School of Continuing Education (SCE) faculty with lessons in voice and all instrument families. Whether you're a seasoned musician or a total rookie, private lessons are available at all levels in classical, jazz, contemporary improvisation, and world music styles.
Take lessons in:
18th Century Counterpoint | Accordion | Baroque Improvisation | Double Bass | Bassoon | Cello | Clarinet | Composition | Conducting | Contemporary Improvisation | Flute | French Horn | Guitar | Harp | Harpsichord | Jazz Bass | Jazz Composition | Jazz Guitar | Jazz Improvisation | Jazz Percussion | Jazz Piano | Jazz Saxophone | Jazz Theory | Jazz Trombone | Jazz Trumpet | Jazz Violin | Jazz Voice | Modal Counterpoint | Oboe | Organ | Percussion | Piano | Recorder | Saxophone | Theory | Trombone | Trumpet | Tuba | Viola | Violin | Voice
Register for Fall 2018
- Placement meetings. Get matched with your teacher! Before you register for your lessons, you'll meet with our department chairs, who will match you with a teacher who will match your needs.
- September 5th: Fall semester begins! Ends December 21st.
- To schedule your placement meeting, contact us now
- Contact the School of Continuing Education and tell us about your interests. Call 617-585-1701 or email now to get started
- We'll set up an informal meeting for you to meet one of our department chairs. You'll share where you are now and where you want to go, and our department chair will offer a personalized recommendation for which teacher will be a good fit for you.
- Once you've been matched with a teacher, it's time to register!
Are you interested in learning the piano or returning to your piano playing? For beginners, this class provides a welcoming and easy introduction to the keyboard. You will learn note-reading and rhythm skills and will develop technique to play repertoire at your skill level. No prior keyboard experience is required. If you have had experience playing piano, or have participated in a previous session, through personalized instruction this class can help you boost your technique and progress to a more advanced level of repertoire. The class set-up can accommodate varying beginning skill levels and can be customized for returning and continuing students.
Note: To register for-credit, please contact the SCE office at 617-585-1701 or in person at 241 St. Botolph, Rm. 108.
Private Lesson Fees
|Non-credit||School of Continuing Education Credit*|
|60-minute lessons: $115.00/lesson||4 CE credits: $3000 for 14 hours of instruction|
|45-minute lessons: $88.00/lesson||3 CE credits: $2250 for 10.5 hours of instruction|
|30-minute lessons: $60.00/lesson||2 CE credits: $1500 for 7 hours of instruction|
- Please note that some instructors' fees may be higher.
- *Students taking lessons for credit will be evaluated by the Department Chair and a panel at the end of the semester. This evaluation will take place of the final lesson.
More with Private Lessons:
Our School of Continuing Education faculty are accomplished, inspiring, and ready to welcome you—whether you're a nervous beginner or a seasoned professional. Browse SCE faculty
Private Studio instruction is at the core of our certificate programs. More about Certificate Programs
SCE students are encouraged to perform in masterclasses and recitals that occur throughout the academic year. Certificate students are required to perform a solo recital as a capstone experience.
Private instruction in performance practice
In addition to traditional lessons, private lessons are available in composition, conducting, jazz arranging, music theory, musical sightreading, orchestration, and music technology. To inquire about these lessons, contact the SCE office