Click here for our academic calendar.
Monday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm - no registration available
Tuesday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Mornings before 9am and evenings after 4pm by appointment only.
Monday - Thursday, 9:00 - 5:00
Friday, 9:00 - 12:30
Once you are officially registered, the security office will make an identification card for you. This card allows you into NEC buildings and can also be set up for library access and many other benefits. Visit necmusic.edu/penguin-pass to learn more.
Your ID Card is required for entrance into any of the NEC buildings.
Continuing Ed Students have access to all NEC libraries.
If you are interested in using the NEC libraries, please contact Richard Vallone, head of Public Services at Spaulding library, at 617-585-1251, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Performance Classes & Placement Auditions
As a new student to the NEC Continuing Education program, you will enter a placement process that accompanies registration for any classes that are performance-based. These classes include chamber ensembles, choirs, lessons, and jazz ensembles. To schedule a placement for the upcoming semester, please call 617-585-1701.
After your placement audition, you will need to register.
Tuition Assistance Program
NEC's School of Continuing Education offers limited tuition assistance for students in need. Please be advised that this is NOT federal student aid support. See information below under "Non-Federal Education Loan Lenders" for additional information. Funds from the School of Continuing Education Tuition Assistance Program are available to domestic students who have demonstrated talent, proficiency, and financial need.
SCE Tuition Assistance is based on the number of credits that you intend to take for that given semester. If this number changes, your tuition assistance amount will be prorated for your new course load.
If you are applying for tuition assistance, please contact ContinuingEducation@necmusic.edu for further information.
Priority deadline: September 1st
Priority deadline: January 1st
Applications received after that date will be considered, but you should understand that most of the limited funds will be distributed shortly after the deadline date.
All students receiving tuition assistance are evaluated each year and are expected to maintain a high level of commitment to their studies.
Because of the number of students seeking assistance and the limitation of available funds, there are no full scholarships.
Non-Federal Education Loan Lenders
At this time, students cannot use federal financial aid towards NEC’s School of Continuing Education Online courses or programs. Students can however, use one of our recommended loan programs. Students are advised to use only one of the recommended loan programs below in order to expedite the process of applying and receiving a loan. Using a loan program outside of what is recommended could cause a student’s approval to be delayed or denied.
International Student Information
Various forms of financial aid, scholarships and grants are available for international students. To learn more about financial aid for international students, please visit these Web Sites:
- www.iefa.org – International Education Financial Aid (IEFA) scholarship search is the premier resource for financial aid, college scholarship and grant information for international students wishing to study abroad
- www.edupass.org/finaid – Financial aid information for international students
To Add or Drop a Class
Recording Studio Opportunities
New England Conservatory now offers recording studio time in our new facility. Recording sessions are available to NEC students (including SCE), faculty, staff, and alumni.
Contact AVS: 617-585-1275 or email@example.com
Recording Studio Services – Preparatory and SCE
Hourly Studio Rates with a two-hour minimum, plus media cost. If the session includes 3 or more musicians, or requires additional equipment to be set up, an hourly set up and strike fee will be incurred. Please contact AVS for pricing information.
NEC studio recordings can be either stereo live-to-two-track (i.e., no post-session mixing) on CD or digital multi- track. Digital reverb will be added for ambiance at your request.
Mixing and Editing: Hourly rate, with a one-hour minimum, plus media cost.
- Separate sessions must be booked for all mixing and/or editing. With prior arrangement and subject to the availability of studio time, mixing or editing sessions may be booked during or directly proceeding your recording session. This is the most cost- and time-effective option. If you need more time to listen and think about your best takes, we can offer you a one off CD of your session for 50% of the current CD pricing. Once you have made your editing decisions, contact Audio Services to book editing time.
- NEC's Studio offers a computer-based digital editing system. All material to be edited must be transferred from the master recording to the computer's hard drive. For a DAT master, transfer time is equal to the entire length of the program material on the DAT. For a CD master, the transfer time is significantly shorter. After editing, the edited material must be transferred out of the computer to whichever media has been chosen.
Data File Copies:
If you would prefer to have a copy of the data files from your recital or session, they can be purchased at a per-DVD cost. The number of tracks recorded and the concert length will determine the number of DVDs required. Please note: Pre- and Post-editing session transfer time will be added to the editing session charge.
After your editing session, one CD of your project will be made for you at no cost.
- These recordings become the property of the performer(s) and are not stored at NEC. Please pick up your orders in a timely fashion. The Audio Visual department reserves the right to discard any materials after 90 days.
- Special Offer on Copies: As a thank you for using our services, simply bring in the CD of your session, and we will run you three CD copies for the price of two! This offer applies to entire CD transfers only.
Booking for each month begins the last full business week of the previous month. It is advisable to book recording, mixing, and editing time as early as possible. Time is limited and is available on a first come, first served basis. The studio is generally open for recording from 2 PM to 6 PM Monday through Friday and from 10AM to 6 PM on Saturdays. Editing sessions may occur any time between 9 AM and 6 PM M-F depending on staff and equipment availability. Studio availability is subject to departmental restrictions.
- Recording sessions are a minimum of 2 hours.
- Non-piano sessions may not be booked less than two business days in advance. Piano sessions must be booked at least five business days in advance to ensure a tuning the day of the session. The recording studio is equipped with a 1901 Steinway grand piano. There is a piano tuning fee.
A deposit will be required at the time of booking. This deposit will be credited toward your final balance.
Postponements or Cancellations
Sessions may be cancelled or postponed no less than five business days in advance without forfeiting your deposit. Showing up more than half an hour after the scheduled start time of your session will result in total loss of your deposit and cancellation of the remaining session time.
Ethics in Recording
Most competitions require performers to submit unedited recordings – please bring any guidelines with you to the session. We strongly recommend producing a recording that truly reflects your performing abilities and not our editing capabilities. Keep in mind that all competitions will eventually require a live performance.
For a complete list of Audio pricing, as well as a sample budget, please contact Audio Services at 617-585-1275.
Still have questions?
Contact the CE office at ContinuingEducation@necmusic.edu.