Rebecca Bogers, Artistic Director
Andres Lopera, 2019 Conductor
Lisa Fujita, Program Director
We will continue to accept applications until all seats have been filled.
This two-week full symphony orchestra program is open to intermediate to advanced-level strings, winds, brass, harp and percussion between the age of 13-18. Daily activities include full orchestral rehearsals, sectional rehearsals, chamber music reading/coaching sessions, masterclasses, mock auditions, group reflections on progress, individual practice time, and a final orchestral concert in NEC's historic Jordan Hall.
The Summer Orchestra Institute (SOI) experience emphasizes intensive musical preparation, with special focus on concentration, practice and performance techniques, interpretation, phrasing, and general musicianship. Students will also develop communication and leadership skills through their musical collaborations, learning the joy of music making while developing lasting friendships. Musical off-campus trips are scheduled throughout the two-week session. Students have the option of choosing to be a day student or residential student in our state of the art NEC Residence Hall located in the heart of Boston. Additional evening activities are planned for residential students.
- Intensive 2-week session
- Full-time faculty lead ensemble and individual coaching
- String, woodwind, brass and percussion coaches
- Daily sectionals with coaches and full orchestra rehearsals
- Final concert in historic New England Conservatory's Jordan Hall
2019 Repertoire will feature Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade led by SOI 2019 Conductor Andres Lopera.
Sample Daily Schedule
7:30-8:30 a.m. Breakfast (for residential students only)
8:30 a.m. Arrival (for day students), warm up & individual practice
9:00 a.m. Sectionals
10:00 a.m. Break
10:15 a.m. Orchestra rehearsal
12:30 pm Lunch
1:15 p.m. Masterclass
2:15 p.m. Orchestra rehearsal
4:30 p.m. Share out session
5:00 p.m. Dismissal for day students (except on concert days)
5:00-10:00 p.m. Dinner and evening activities (for residential students)
Complete the Online Application
Complete the online application. If you have questions about the program or auditions requirements please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-585-1160. If you have questions about completing the online application you can contact our summer programs registrar at Rebecca.Wolff@necmusic.edu.
Music Teachers (including conductors and program directors) can submit recommendation letters to email@example.com. You will be asked to enter the name and email for the person submitting your recommendation during your online application.
Select your Audition Type
Students have the option to choose a live audition or a video audition. There is no preference given to either recorded or live auditions; both methods are accepted and reviewed equally by NEC. Applicants may audition in one of the following ways:
- Live Audition - When submitting your admissions applications, you will have an option to request a live audition. The office will be in touch withing 3-5 days of completing your application with live auditions dates to see what would work in your schedule. Live auditions are not guaranteed, but we will do our best to accommodate all requests.
- Video Recorded Audition - When submitting your admissions application, you will be prompted to select a live or video audition. Please select video audition. Your application will not be considered complete until the video audition has been submitted. The audition requirements must be recorded in one take and without an accompaniment. Videos can be submitted through Dropbox, Google Drive or YouTube. Links or files should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org . You will receive an email confirmation that you audition has been received.
- Scale of your choice
- 1 solo of your choice
- Required Excerpt(s)
December 14: Application and audition materials available online
February 3-15: Live auditions available in Boston
February 15: Online application closes and final video auditions are due (Extended Application Deadline: March 1st)
February 27: First round of notification of acceptance will be emailed out. As new applications/videos are received, we will continue to send out notifications of acceptance.
March 1: Extended Application Deadline
March 6: Priority early bird deadline for registration and deposit (Early Bird discount of $200!)
April 1: Deadline for registration and tuition (payment plans are available)
July 14: Resident students move into the Residence Hall
July 15-27: Summer Orchestra Institute
July 27: Final Summer Orchestra Institute concert in Jordan Hall
July 28: Resident students move out of the Residence Hall