This two-week full symphony orchestra program is open to intermediate to advanced-level strings, brass, winds, harp, and percussion between the age of 13-18. Daily activities include full orchestral rehearsals, sectional rehearsals, chamber music reading/coaching sessions, masterclasses, mock auditions, group reflections on progress, individual practice time, and a final orchestral concert in NEC's historic Jordan Hall.
The Summer Orchestra Institute (SOI) experience emphasizes intensive musical preparation, with special focus on concentration, practice and performance techniques, interpretation, phrasing, and general musicianship. Students will also develop communication and leadership skills through their musical collaborations, learning the joy of music making while developing lasting friendships. Musical off-campus trips are scheduled throughout the two-week session. Students have the option of choosing to be a day student or residential student in our state of the art NEC Residence Hall located in the heart of Boston. Additional evening activities are planned for residential students.
- Intensive 2-week session
- Full-time faculty lead ensemble and individual coaching
- String, woodwind, brass and percussion coaches
- Daily sectionals with coaches and full orchestra rehearsals
- Final concert in historic New England Conservatory's Jordan Hall
2019 Repertoire will feature Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade led by SOI 2019 Conductor Andres Lopera.
Sample Daily Schedule
7:30-8:30 a.m. Breakfast(for residential students only)
8:30 a.m. Arrival (for day students), warm up & individual practice
9:00 a.m. Sectionals
10:00 a.m. Break
10:15 a.m. Orchestra rehearsal
12:30 pm Lunch
1:15 p.m. Masterclass
2:15 p.m. Orchestra rehearsal
4:30 p.m. Share out session
5:00 p.m. Dismissal for day students (except on concert days)
5:00-10:00 p.m. Dinner and evening activities (for residential students)
Complete the Online Application
Complete the online application. If you have questions about the program or auditions requirements please email email@example.com or call 617-585-1160. If you have questions about completing the online application you can contact our summer programs registrar at Rebecca.Wolff@necmusic.edu.
Music Teachers (including conductors and program directors) can submit recommendation letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be asked to enter the name and email for the person submitting your recommendation during your online application.
Select your Audition Type
Students have the option to choose a live audition or a video audition. There is no preference given to either recorded or live auditions; both methods are accepted and reviewed equally by NEC. Applicants may audition in one of the following ways:
- Live Audition - When submitting your admissions application, you will be prompted to select any available live audition dates. Please select all the dates that you are available. You will receive a confirmation email with your audition time within 3-5 days of completing your application.
- Video Recorded Audition - When submitting your admissions application, you will be prompted to select any available live audition dates or video audition. Please select video audition. Your application will not be considered complete until the video audition has been submitted. Videos can be submitted through Dropbox, Google Drive, YouTube, or by emailing the file. Links or files should be sent to email@example.com . You will receive an email confirmation that you audition has been received.
Audition Requirements (check back soon for full requirements)
- Scale of your choice
- 1 solo of your choice
- Required Excerpt(s)
December 14: Application and audition materials available online
February 3-15: Live auditions available in Boston
February 15: Online application closes and final video auditions are due
February 22: Notification of acceptance
March 1: Priority early bird deadline for registration and deposit (Early Bird discount of $200!)
April 1: Deadline for registration and tuition (payment plans are available)
July 14: Resident students move into the Residence Hall
July 15-27: Summer Orchestra Institute
July 27: Final Summer Orchestra Institute concert in Jordan Hall
July 28: Resident students move out of the Residence Hall
Excerpts Coming Soon
Tuition & Registration
We welcome ages 13 to 18 intermediate to advanced-level strings, brass, winds, harp, and percussion by audition only. Students are accepted from all over the U.S. and abroad.
2019 Tuition and Fees
Registration Fee: $40
Fees include all rehearsals, masterclasses, coachings, a t-shirt and a final performance in the historic New England Conservatory's Jordan Hall. Both residential students and day participants are welcome!
We are happy to offer on-campus housing in New England Conservatory’s new Residence Hall!
Housing Cost: $1475