This course will cover:
- the practice of harmonic and melodic intervals
- rhythmic performance and dictation in simple and compound meters
- reading of treble and bass clefs using fixed-do solfège and one line melodic dictation
- the study of triads
- principles of voice leading
- introduction to harmonic analysis
- harmonization of bass lines and soprano melodies
- with an emphasis on the harmonic style of music from the 18th and early 19th centuries.
Prerequisite is Musicianship (or its equivalent) or permission of the instructor.