- Elizabeth Anker, Instructor
Georg Friedrich Handel was born in Germany, studied and lived in Italy, where he was a wildly successful opera composer, and moved to England where he wrote oratorios in English.
This class explores his works and those of his contemporaries and influences through performance and study.
- Open to singers, strings, winds and keyboard players.
- No audition necessary.
- Arias from operas, oratorios and the 9 Deutchen Arien will be the basis of the repertoire, along with works of Italian composers of his time.
- There will be presentations by the instructor and students, listening, reading and speaking assignments. In a master class format, students will learn issues of Baroque style, ornamentation, language and performance practice, with an emphasis on developing ensemble skills.
- There will be a performance at the end of the semester.
- Spring 2019