NEC opera students will shadow professional singers cast in BLO productions.
Boston Lyric Opera, Boston’s professional American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA) opera company, has invited singers from NEC to participate in a role study program aimed at investing in the artistic and professional growth of young operatic talent and strengthening the unique collaboration with New England Conservatory.
Students will be matched with a specific role in a BLO production and informed of this information.
“As New England’s leading opera company, Boston Lyric Opera is committed to developing young singing talent,” says Esther Nelson, BLO’s Stanford Calderwood General and Artistic Director. “Our partnership with New England Conservatory, which allows students to observe rehearsal, and be provided coaching free-of-charge, is a national model for collaborations between professional companies and opera studies programs. The new Role Study initiative brings the NEC/BLO connection closer, with the promise of giving students unprecedented access to the work lives of professionals, and an opportunity for BLO to identify the industry’s bright young singers.”
NEC Interim President Tom Novak states:
"On behalf of New England Conservatory, it is a great honor and pleasure to partner with Boston Lyric Opera in this new Role Study initiative, which provides a unique opportunity for NEC students. Our organizations share a commitment to the education of talented singers, and this program is a wonderful manifestation of our shared vision."
Specific benefits for those NEC students selected for this opportunity include:
- Insider's view of professional protocols and courtesies acquired by watching superior professional singing artists interact with other artists and a professional Stage Director and Music Director/Conductor
- Role preparation time with BLO’s coach/pianist
- Access to all BLO music and staging rehearsals, with the expectation of attending a minimum of five
- An additional, fach-appropriate role for the student's résumé, through observation, coaching, and listening in a professional environment
In addition to the above benefits for the selected student participants, the collaboration includes:
- BLO Dress Rehearsal tickets to NEC voice and opera students and faculty
- Masterclasses with BLO Artistic personnel
- Special in-house BLO audition for NEC students