What are the admission requirements for SCE?

Students who wish to take classes for School of Continuing Education (SCE) credit or non-credit are accepted when they submit a registration form with the required registration fee and tuition (except for classes or ensembles requiring placement auditions or permission of the instructor). See Private Studio Instruction regarding permission to register for private instruction for credit.

What happens in case of snow emergencies?

In the event of severe weather conditions or other emergency situations, New England Conservatory “College” and its Preparatory and Continuing Education department (identified collectively as NEC) may be closed for all or part of a day.  There may be occasions during inclement weather or emergency situations when NEC remains open.

NEC will make a decision on whether or not to close as soon as is practicable.  Notice of delayed openings or cancellations will be broadcast in the following locations: 

WBZ News Radio AM 1030, and WBZ-TV,
WRKO Talk Radio AM 680, WHDH/NBC channel 7, CW channel 56, and
(Employees and students can sign up for school closings sent to their cell phone at or
ABC/WCBV TV channel 5,, and WBUR –
WFXT FOX25 TV Channel 25

In addition, there will be a recorded message updated regularly at (617) 585-1100 and on the NEC website  If there is a school closing and you wish to verify if a special event or concert is taking place on that day or evening, please refer to NEC's Website or call the Jordan Hall Box office at (617) 585-1260 or the NEC Concert Line (617) 585-1122.

If NEC remains open students should contact their instructors directly to determine if classes are still being held.


What are the different types of certificates that SCE offers?

We offer Certificate of Merit and Professional Studies certificates in both composition and performance, JazzAbreu Fellowship, Music In Education and most recently Contemporary Improvisation Certificate.

These provide flexibility in scheduling your courses and high-quality instruction from our NEC Continuing Education faculty.

For more information about your specific program please select the Certificate Programs menu.

Are scholarship funds are available for certificate students?

We are able to make small scholarship awards to Domestic students at this time.

Will my certificate credits from SCE transfer to New England Conservatory?

Students who successfully complete the Certificate of Merit, Professional Studies or Jazz Certificate programs in the School of Continuing Education and are accepted to New England Conservatory's College programs as an undergraduate or graduate student (a separate application is required) may apply to have up to four credits transferred towards elective credit in the College. Transfer credit will be evaluated in accordance with the guidelines in the NEC College Catalog.

What are the application and admission procedures for domestic students?

Applicants must contact the SCE Director for advisement, complete the online certificate application form (Domestic or International) and audition for the director and an appropriate department chair, who will either accept them (if they are sufficiently advanced) or recommend a period of non-credit private study with an SCE studio faculty member.  During this developmental period, applicants may take required certificate courses for SCE credit. As soon as applicants present a successful audition and receive a grade of "C" or better for at least one academic course, they are officially accepted and may apply all SCE credits previously earned toward completion of the certificate curriculum.

International Students

What are the admissions requirements for international students who want to take SCE classes?

Admitted students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents will need to obtain an F-1 student visa in order to pursue studies in the United States at NEC. To qualify for the student visa, students must enroll in a full-time Certificate program and must demonstrate that they have the funds available to cover the full cost of attending NEC, including: tuition, room, board, medical insurance, student fees, and personal expenses for one year. For 2014-2015 academic year, the estimated cost of attendance for one year is around $16,000 for all SCE Certificate Programs. This tuition does not include tuition, room, board, medical insurance, student fees, and personal expenses for that year.

Students do not need to show documentation of funds at the time of the application. The Certification of Finance form will be sent to international students with all offers of admission. Once the student has submitted their registration form and returned the Certification of Finance form with accompanying documentation and letters of support that document his/her financial ability to cover all costs for one year, NEC will send the I-20 form needed for the student's visa application.  For information on how to obtain the F-1 student visa, please visit our International Services Pages.
Every applicant who does not have the full financial means at his/her disposal to cover all costs related to attending NEC should research all possibilities of support early in the application process. We encourage every applicant to consider the full cost of attendance before submitting an application.

Will an SCE certificate qualify for an F-1 visa? Are there additional requirements?

Many of SCE certificates qualify as full-time curricula for international students seeking F-1 visas. Applicants must be able to demonstrate an advanced performance level, a functional theory background, and proficiency in the English language.  The minimum IELTS score is 6.5 while the minimum TOEFL paper test score is 540, computer test score of 207 or iBT score of 76 is required for entrance; NEC’s School Code is 3659.  After being accepted, all international students must provide necessary financial documentation to receive an I-20 form and F-1 student visa.  All international students must enroll for 12-credit semesters to be considered full time.  Additional information for international students can be found here.

What if I am traveling to Boston and simply want to take a class or two?

International persons who are currently on a B-1 or B-2 visitor visa are in the U.S. for the purpose of temporarily visiting for business or temporarily visiting for pleasure.  On this visa, it is prohibited to begin a course of study.  However, it is permissible to enroll in a casual, short term class at SCE provided that it is not the primary purpose of your visit to the U.S. and is for entertainment purposes.  If you are traveling to Boston with the intention of studying and not the intention of tourism or business, you must be in F-1 student status and you must be studying full-time.  Specific visa questions should be directed to the Director of International Student Services, Rebecca Teeters, at

Summer Session

What are the admission requirements for SCE Summer Session?

Students are admitted into the Summer Session on a per-course basis. Students enrolling for credit must have a high school diploma or high school equivalency. Non-NEC students who wish to take classes for NEC Undergraduate or Graduate credit must notify the Director of Continuing Education prior to registering and obtain permission of the instructor.

Are summer sessions ever canceled?

NEC reserves the right to cancel any summer course or ensemble with insufficient enrollment. Notification of cancellation will be given as soon as possible prior to the first day of the class. If a course is cancelled, the student will receive a full refund of tuition and registration fee.

What kinds of credit does the Summer Session offer?

The New England Conservatory of Music is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.

Two kinds of Summer Session credit are offered: NEC Undergraduate or Graduate credit, issued by the College Division, and School of Continuing Education (CE) credit, issued by the School of Continuing Education. Each unit of NEC Undergraduate, Graduate or CE credit is equivalent to 14/15 hours of instruction. Most summer courses may be taken either for credit or non-credit, sometimes at a reduced cost for the latter.

The level of a student's participation in summer classes will vary according to his or her credit status:

  • Students earning NEC Undergraduate or Graduate credit take all exams and receive letter grades. Students earning graduate credit do additional course work. This credit may be used towards an NEC degree by students currently enrolled in an NEC degree program. It may also be transferred to outside institutions by non-NEC students. See Admission Requirements regarding permission-to-register procedures.
  • School of Continuing Education (CE) credit requires the same student participation and course work as NEC College Division credit. Students take exams and receive letter grades. CE credit may be applied to Continuing Education certificates or transferred to outside colleges and universities, but it may not be applied to NEC degree programs.
  • Non-credit is auditor status: Students do not take examinations or receive grades.

Can Summer Session credits be transfered?

Non-NEC students who wish to transfer credits to another institution are advised to confirm credit-transfer policies with the Registrar or Dean of that institution.

Can I change my credit status?

Students who wish to change their credit status must notify their instructor and the Director of Continuing Education in writing before the end of the course. Credit will not be granted retroactively. All required work and exams must be completed and the balance of tuition paid.

Is Financial Aid available for Summer Session?

Although financial aid is available for some of our Summer Session Institutes, it is not normally available for Summer Session classes or private lessons except under extraordinary situations. For questions regarding financial aid, call Continuing Education at 617-585-1701.

What kind of grades are used for Summer Session?

The Conservatory uses the letter grade system for credit-bearing courses as specified in the College catalog, available from the Dean's Office. All for-credit Summer Session course work must be completed by August 15. Grades will be mailed to all students taking courses for credit in early September.

What is available for housing during Summer Session?

NEC houses Summer Session participants (Opera studio and MET Flute Festival ONLY) at Emerson College in The Colonial Building, 100 Boylston Street, Boston, an air-conditioned, 24-hour-a-day secured conference center in the heart of Boston at Boston Common (two/three stops away from NEC on Boston’s MBTA Orange Line). There is plenty of room for participants here, and they can generally choose a single or a double room (bathrooms down the hall) or a room in a suite (bathroom in the suite).  Housing arrangements and payments are made through the Conservatory; please contact NEC’s Continuing Education Office at 617-585-1701.

Are there specific check in times at the Emerson housing?

Check-in time is 12p.m. and check-out time is 2p.m. Please check in at the registration desk on the second floor. You will be issued your key upon checking in.  (Please note that Emerson College does not accept payments at the door; admittance requires that your name be on the list of people who have paid through New England Conservatory.)

To learn more about Emerson College and its location ( and directions to it from the airport bus or train stations, etc) please consult the Emerson College Web site

How are refunds handled?

Students may withdraw with a full refund until two weeks prior to the first class meeting (does not apply to some Institutes). Refunds after this deadline will be granted only for exceptional reasons. If NEC cancels a course, a full refund including the registration fee will be given.

Is there a registration fee? 

A non-refundable Summer Session registration fee of $40 is charged per student.

How does NEC accept payment?

Students may use our online registration process in the Information & Registration area of our website to register for summer courses, ensembles, and private lessons with SCE faculty. 

Will I get an SCE I.D.?

SCE Summer Session students will receive an identification card when they arrive at the first session of their class. It is valid only for the duration of the class(es) taken and must be shown to enter the buildings and use the libraries.

Can I request my transcripts?

Yes. Requests for transcripts must be made in writing to the School of Continuing Education Registrar and must include the complete address to which the transcript should be mailed. The cost per transcript is $6. Transcripts will not be issued to students with outstanding balances or library fines. Call 617-585-1134 for more information.

What are there SCE summer hours?

Summer hours:
Monday -Thurday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am - 12:30 pm

This online catalog is a supplement to the course catalogs of New England Conservatory's undergraduate and graduate schools and School of Continuing Education. NEC rules and regulations stated in those bulletins apply to Summer Session students unless otherwise indicated above. Copies of the course catalogs can be found online at

New England Conservatory of Music does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or veteran status in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies, employment policies, scholarship and loan programs, or other Conservatory-sponsored activities. The Vice President of Finance and Administration coordinates the Conservatory's efforts in complying with this policy.