Live auditions at NEC are required for all applicants to Collaborative Piano.
Prescreening recordings are required for all collaborative piano applicants. After reviewing the recording guidelines, please upload your prescreening recording files as part of your online application.
Master of Music and Graduate Diploma Prescreening:
Submit a recording with four selections:
- Two of the four vocal repertoire songs listed below under the MM and GD Live Audition requirements
- One movement from the Beethoven violin or cello sonata which you plan to present at your audition
- One additional movement from a work for piano and solo instrument (can be another movement from the Beethoven sonata or a different instrumental work)
Doctor of Musical Arts Prescreening:
DMA applicants should prepare a prescreening recording with 30 minutes of music selected from the live audition repertoire for doctoral candidates listed below. Please choose a selection from each of the first four categories.
Collaborative Piano applicants should prepare the repertoire listed below. Secondary skills must be demonstrated through a test of sight-reading of vocal and instrumental repertoire. Both an audition repertoire list and a complete repertoire list (instrumental and vocal) must be submitted with your application. Any changes to the audition requirements must be discussed with Cameron Stowe, Chair of Collaborative Piano, at least four weeks before the scheduled audition.
Applicants may bring their own vocalist and instrumentalist or may request that NEC provide musicians. There is a fee of $25, payable on the day of the live audition, if NEC musicians are requested.
Master of Music and Graduate Diploma Live Auditions:
- Vocal repertoire (all high keys):
Schubert "An die Nachtigall" (D497 with text by Claudius, not D196)
Debussy "Il pleure dans mon coeur"
Barber "St. Ita's Vision"
- Instrumental repertoire: Beethoven cello or violin sonata
- Solo repertoire: Selection of the applicant's choice (one movement)
Doctor of Musical Arts Live Auditions:
Choose one selection from each of the following groups:
- Beethoven cello or violin sonata
Schubert songs (high keys; prepare complete list):
"So lasst mich scheinen"
"Die Sterne" (D939 with text by Leitner)
- Brahms violin, cello, or clarinet (or viola) sonata
Brahms songs (high keys; prepare complete list):
"Die Mainacht" (op. 43)
"Botschaft" (op. 47)
"Wie Melodien zieht es mir" (op. 105)
"Ständchen" (op. 106)
- Franck Violin Sonata
Debussy Ariettes oubliées (complete)
- Shostakovich Sonata for Cello and Piano, op. 40
Barber Hermit Songs (complete)
- Mozart "Hai già vinta la causa" from Le Nozze di Figaro
Dvorak Cello Concerto (first movement only)
Note: All vocal song repertoire must be prepared in the published high keys.