New England Conservatory expressly prohibits the use, possession, or sale of any weapon, other than as expressly authorized by the Conservatory, by any person or employee while on Conservatory property and/or while conducting business on behalf of or for the benefit of, the Conservatory. This prohibition applies even if an individual has a legal permit to carry a weapon. Massachusetts General Laws (MGL, Chapter 269, section 10(j)) also prohibit carrying a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other dangerous weapon, in any building or on the grounds of the Conservatory.

Persons who are on New England Conservatory property and/or conducting business on behalf of, or for the benefit of, the Conservatory, are required to abide by this policy and are required to cooperate in any investigation the Conservatory deems necessary to enforce this policy.

Persons who do not comply with this policy may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including removal from Conservatory property and/or termination from employment. This action is separate from any criminal penalties that may be pursued for violation of state laws.

Special Exemption for the Possession of Chemical Defensive Sprays:
In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, chemical defensive sprays are considered regulated ammunition. This definition includes any device or instrument that contains or emits a liquid, gas, powder, or other substance designed to incapacitate.

Residents of Massachusetts must obtain the appropriate Firearms Identification Card (FID), or License to Carry (LTC) in order to possess chemical defensive sprays in public. The licensing authority for granting permission to possess any form of defensive chemical sprays is generally the chief of police in the town where the person resides. For example, the Chief of Police, City of Boston, would be the licensing authority for a staff member who resides in the city of Boston. Individuals residing in other cities, towns, or villages should apply for their FIDs or LTCs with their local police departments. Non-residents of Massachusetts should contact the applicable licensing authority for additional information regarding exemptions to this requirement. Refer to Massachusetts General Laws, chapter 140, section 129B and chapter 140, section 131, for additional information.