The information on this page applies to Returning Students for the Spring 2014 semester. Information regarding Spring 2014 deadlines will posted in this space.
Step 1: Academic Advising
As a New England Conservatory college student, you are required to meet with your Academic Advisor at least once per semester to track progress in your degree program, go over recommendations and requirements for the following semester, and discuss your academic plans.
To prepare for this meeting, please consult the Academic Catalog under which you were admitted concerning requirements for your program and major. We also recommend you look at the course schedule for Spring 2014, available through PowerCampus Self Service (PDF instructions for access and use may be found here) and on the NEC website beginning October 1, 2013; a limited number of reference copies will be available for use within the Office of Student Services. Please plan on a wait of several days between the time you sign up and the time your appointment takes place.
Appointment schedules with the Academic Advisors will be posted on the bulletin board in the Office of Students Services (SB 224). Students may sign up for advising appointments on the following schedule:
|Wednesday, September 25||First appointment schedule posted (schedules will normally be posted one week in advance with new postings made as each week fills up)|
|Wednesday October 2|
Advising appointments begin for these groups of students:
|Wednesday, October 16||Advising appointments begin for 2015 graduating students (students may begin signing up for appointments on Wednesday, October 9th)|
|Monday, November 4||Advising appointments begin for 2016 and 2017 graduating students (students may begin signing up for appointments on Monday, April 1st)|
|Tuesday, November 26||Deadline for Academic Advising (all students)|
|*Students graduating in May 2014 will benefit from scheduling their advising appointments early in the advising period.|
At your appointment, your Academic Advisor will provide you with information and instructions to help you register for Spring 2014. You are encouraged to come with any questions you may have about curricular opportunities at NEC. Please note that you may not register for Spring 2014 until after you have met with your Academic Advisor.
See below for more information about registration.
Step 2: Registration
After you have met with your Academic Advisor, you may proceed with registration for Fall 2013. Before you will be allowed to register, you must clear all administrative holds, including Academic Advising, Health Information, Business Office, Financial Aid, and Qualifying Degree. Please note that ALL students must register by Tuesday, November 26, 2013. Students who register after this date will be charged the $250 late registration fee.
The schedule for most registration groups (both online and in person) is determined by current anticipated graduation year:
|DMA students||Tuesday, October 15 - Tuesday, November 26|
|All 2014 graduating students||Monday, October 21 - Tuesday, November 26|
|All Tufts and Harvard students||Monday, October 21 - Tuesday, November 26|
|2015 graduating students||Monday, November 4 - Tuesday, November 26|
|2016 graduating students||Monday, November 11 - Tuesday, November 26|
|2017 graduating students||Wednesday, November 13 - Tuesday, November 26|
Please follow these steps:
- Consult the Spring 2014 course schedule, available through PowerCampus Self Service (PDF instructions for access and use may be found here) and on the NEC website beginning October 1, 2013; a limited number of reference copies will be available for use within the Office of Student Services.
- Prepare for your Advising Appointment by selecting your top course options for the Spring 2014semester.
- Attend your Advising Appointment with your Academic Advisor. Your Academic Plan and registration instructions will be provided to you at that appointment.
- Online registration for the first registration group (DMA students) will open at 8 AM on October 15, 2013; each subsequent registration group will open at 8 AM on their start date. Registration will end for all students at 5 PM on November 26, 2013. Students needing to submit a registration form in person may do so to a member of the Registrar's staff in the Office of Student Services during their assigned registration dates. In-person registration hours are 9:30 - 11:30 AM and 2:00 - 4:00 PM each weekday from October 15th to November 26th.
- After completing your registration process (either online or in person), please proofread your schedule carefully to make sure it has been recorded properly.
If you are registering for a required recital, you may proceed to the Concert Halls Office (JH 106) to reserve a hall beginning Wednesday, October 23, 2013. This year, recital booking will be scheduled by appointment only. Sign-up sheets for appointments will be made available outside the Concert Halls Office beginning October 21, 2013. When you come to your appointment, the Concert Halls staff will ask to see a copy of your Spring 2014 schedule indicating that you have registered for a recital. Read the Concert Halls Student Handbook carefully so that you understand the recital scheduling process and policies. Pick three (3) possible dates that will work for you, your performers and your STUDIO FACULTY MEMBER. The Concert Halls Office will no longer have a seven day holding period for recital dates, so once you leave your appointment your recital date will be confirmed. Fill out the student recital form - copies can be found in the Concert Halls office or a downloadable PDF is available on my.necmusic.edu under "Performance Services".2013-11-11