Birth Control: Choosing the Right Method for You
What you should consider when choosing a birth control method:
- What are your contraceptive preferences? (i.e. condoms, birth control, withdrawal method)
- How comfortable are you that you’re using your current birth control method correctly?
- What factors influence your contraceptive choices?
- Are you trying to prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs) as well as prevent pregnancy?
- Are you currently involved in a sexual relationship?
- Are you involved in a relationship with a man/ woman/ both?
- What kind of sexual activities do you engage in (oral, anal, vaginal sex)?
- How important is it to avoid pregnancy now/ What would you do if you became pregnant now?
How effective is your current method at preventing sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy?
Sexual activities and their related risk for STDS:
Effectiveness in pregnancy prevention with different method choices:
Visit the following websites, itunes or playstore to learn more about choosing the right method for you!
- MyMethod by Planned Parenthood: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/all-access/my-method-26542.htm
- Method Match by ARHP: https://www.arhp.org/MethodMatch/
- Plan A Birth control app- available free in itunes
- Birth Control guide- available free in play store for Droid devices
- Mayo Clinic: about birth control options for you available for $1.99 in itunes
Call New England Conservatory Health and Counseling Center and make an appointment if you’d like to:
- Change methods or initiate a new method
- Ask questions
- Discuss your choices
241 St. Botolph Street Boston
Room 112 , MA 02115