The Liberal Arts at NEC
Professional Skills, Cultural Awareness, Artistic Explorations
In order to encourage NEC students to develop to their maximum professional, intellectual, and creative potential, the Liberal Arts department offers rich and varied opportunities for students to develop essential college-level skills in critical thinking, writing, and analysis, as well as important professional and interpersonal skills involving public speaking, listening, and working in groups.
The Liberal Arts department’s broad range of course offerings in literature, history, philosophy, politics, cultural studies, social sciences, environmental studies, film, and foreign languages provide students with opportunities to study major academic disciplines as well as cultural, social, intellectual, and political contexts for music. Studios in sculpture and visual art and workshops in poetry, creative writing, and drama provide students with supportive and engaging creative environments in which they can apply the various skills in artistic expression that they have already developed through their musical studies.
The department houses the NEC Writing & Learning Center, where students, faculty, and staff may discuss and work on any writing task, whether course- or career-related, at any stage of the writing process.
Learn about upcoming events and ongoing projects within the department, including the Creative Arts Festival featuring poetry and drama performances; Courses in Collaboration and NEC's academic journal Hear Here! The department also hosts frequent prestigious guest lecturers and annual course fairs.
Like us on Facebook to stay up-to-date with events and announcements.
More Liberal Arts:
- Fall 2015 electives - Check out the upcoming Liberal Arts courses offered next semester.
- Writing & Learning Center - Our one-on-one tutorial service designed to assist undergraduates, graduate students, and staff.
- ESL-IEP - Information about English as a Second Language requirements and offerings.
- Faculty - About the Liberal Arts faculty.
- Hear Here! - Read our current and past Liberal Arts Student Journals!
- Photo gallery on Flickr - View photographs of our events, including visiting artists in Liberal Arts classes, poetry readings and other performances.
Student Perspectives on Liberal Arts at NEC
Liberal Arts Electives
Creative Arts Festival
Liberal Arts Creative Arts Festivals celebrate the impressive work NEC students do in our Drama, Poetry, and Creative Writing Workshops and in the Visual Arts and Sculpture Studios.
Listening to our students' poetry readings and musical settings on our Soundcloud page!
See photos from the Creative Arts Festival and other department events on our Flickr page!
View more videos from the Liberal Arts Department on our YouTube channel.