Charitable Lead Trust
A Charitable Lead Trust (CLT) can be a good charitable gift option for those individuals with substantial estates (e.g. estates that could be subject to the federal estate tax) who wish to transfer assets to family members and make a generous gift to NEC.
A CLT offers the following benefits:
- Your potential estate taxes can be greatly reduced.
- Taxes due for the transfer to family are paid when the CLT is created. At the end of the trust, the transfer is entirely tax-free.
- Each year, the CLT pays an amount you specify to NEC. The Conservatory will use the funds for a purpose of your choosing.
- Because the gift to NEC is made before distribution to family, you can enjoy the benefits of philanthropic giving to NEC now.
- Since the funds are received by NEC now, a CLT can be used to fund a building project or other outright expense you wish to support.
Your attorney and other advisors can help design a plan that is most advantageous for you and your family. For more information or if you would like to discuss how you can benefit from a Charitable Lead Trust, please e-mail Julia Olson, or call 617-585-1185.