- Regular Freshman curriculum in Harvard College
- Studio instruction (one hour per week) at NEC
- Introductory classes in music theory and musicology at Harvard or NEC if possible
- Spring semester promotional at NEC required of all majors
- Ensemble participation, by advisement, appropriate to the area of music specialization at either institution is encouraged
At the end of the freshman year, students will choose a field of concentration in accordance with Harvard’s academic requirements. Those students enrolled in the joint program may choose to concentrate in music, any other subject, or a joint concentration of music and another discipline.
Years 2 and 3
- Courses as required at Harvard; some credits may later transfer to NEC by advisement
- Studio instruction at NEC (one hour per week)
- Spring semester promotional each year
- Ensemble participation, by advisement, appropriate to the area of music specialization at either institution is encouraged.
During NEC’s promotional period prior to the end of the third academic year at Harvard, students’ preparedness to continue into the Masters degree part of the joint program will be reviewed and confirmed by a faculty jury at NEC. The result will be communicated to the student prior to the end of Harvard’s academic year.
Students are allowed to transfer a limited number of courses completed at Harvard to the MM program at NEC. Each semester-long course taken at Harvard is the equivalent of 2 graduate semester hours of credit at NEC.
Concluding year of AB degree combined with first year of MM study
Students should take the NEC Master's Music Theory Competency Exam and teh Master's Music History Exam if they have not already done so. Successful completion of these exams is a degree requirement of the MM at NEC. Students must pass the MM Theory exam prior to enrolling in any NEC theory course. Students who do not pass the exam may elect to retake the exam in the fifth year or enroll in graduate remedial courses at NEC.
- Concluding curricular requirements for AB degree at Harvard
- Studio instruction at NEC
- Chamber Music (string majors only) for one semester at NEC or by substitution. Music 180 is approved for this requirement for 1 credit. Students wishing to take Music 187 at Harvard must have prior approval from NEC to receive 1 credit toward the chamber music requirement.
- Ensemble participation, by advisement
- First year Master of Music promotional evaluation at NEC (all majors except music theory)
- MM coursework at NEC by advisement.
- Additional requirements may be required of students in Collaborative Piano, Vocal Pedagogy and Wind Ensemble Conducting.
The promotional evaluation at the end of the first year of MM study consists of an instrumental (or vocal) jury, and, for composition majors, a portfolio review.
If students have not yet passed the Master's Music Theory and History Competency Exams, they must take the exam during the Orientation week of the start of the fifth year. Successful completion of these exams is a degree requirement. Students who do not pass the exams will enroll in graduate remedial courses at NEC.
- Studio instruction at NEC
- Ensemble participation as required for MM to be fulfilled at NEC
- MM coursework by advisement.
- Graduation recital required for most majors
In the fifth year, students must earn the balance remaining of a total of 42-44 credits required to earn the MM degree, depending on the major. A minimum of 30-32 graduate credits must be earned in courses/studio taken at NEC during years the fourth and fifth years.