We are delighted that you are considering applying to NEC. For complete application and audition instructions, please visit the following sections of our website:
1) General Instructions for all applicants (this page)
2) Specific Instructions for your intended degree/diploma
3) Audition Information for all applicants
4) Audition Requirements for your intended major
If you have any questions throughout the application process, please do not hesitate to contact the Admissions Office. We strongly recommend that you contact the staff member who specifically handles applications to your major or degree program.
Required Application Materials
The following materials are required of all applicants.
- Online Application, which will include submission of your essay, artistic resume, repertoire list, application fee of $115, contact information for your letters of recommendation, and your prescreening recording if required for your major or program.
- Demonstration of English proficiency (for all applicants whose first language was not English, including U.S. citizens and permanent residents)
- Any additional supporting materials for your program as outlined in the Specific Instructions
Standardized test scores for the SAT, ACT, and GRE are not required for any applicant.
All online & mailed materials should be received (not postmarked) by December 1st with the following exceptions:
- Recommendation letters are due December 15.
- Audition video recordings for students not performing a live audition are due February 1.
- TOEFL scores for non-native speakers of English are due March 1 except for Conducting applicants, who must submit a TOEFL score by December 1.
All applications and prescreening recordings should be submitted online. Recommendation letters should be submitted via the online application form whenever possible. Transcripts and any other materials submitted by mail should be sent to the address below.
To ensure prompt and accurate delivery of your materials, please include the degree/diploma program and major/instrument to which you are applying in the address in the following format: BM Piano, DMA Contemporary Improvisation, etc.
Office of Admission
ATTN: [write your degree/major here]
New England Conservatory
290 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115-5018
NOTE: All materials submitted as part of the application process become the property of New England Conservatory of Music.
All instrumental and vocal applicants must perform an audition. Applicants to composition, music theory, and musicology must submit appropriate materials for review; composition applicants living in North America must attend an on-campus interview if invited. All applicants should visit the Audition Information pages for information about these requirements.
NEC accepts applications for entry in January (Spring semester) on a space-available basis. Students interested in January admission should contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-585-1101 to inquire about anticipated program openings before completing an application. If spring enrollment is available, all application materials are due by October 15th. Spring applicants should submit an audition recording; those applicants living within reasonable traveling distance to Boston may subsequently be asked to perform a live audition. Admission decisions for the Spring semester will be sent on a rolling basis starting in mid-November.